time2run

Box Size For IXL 18

I am wanting to know what size of a ported box would i need for the 18 IXL if i wanted it to be built to 35hz.

Edited by time2run

Well, the size of the enclosure, vent area and tune are all needed for correct calculations. What is your intended use and power level for the driver?

Well i want to use the sub for my car. Its a tahoe so there a lot of room. Also ill have 800 watts rms at 4 ohms .

Tuning to 20Hz in a car is pretty much pointless, might as well seal it up in the car. That's home audio territory.

Tuning to 20Hz in a car is pretty much pointless, might as well seal it up in the car. That's home audio territory.

So you wouldn't port an IXL for car use? Home audio only?

Nooo, didn't say that at all.

You don't want to port ANY sub lower than 25Hz in car. While this sub is a very good subwoofer to port tuned very low in the home, that doesn't mean it is a good idea in car, due to cabin gain.

I'd venture to guess 5-5.5ft^3 tuned to 35Hz would be fine.

If you like some of the "kick" and "slam" that most people are accustomed to, port it 35 Hz or higher. However, a friend has the IXL in a 7.5 cu ft box tuned to 30 Hz. I love the low end, but it doesn't have the "kick" that his previous Audiobahn 12 or MJ-18 had. The IXL is a low end monster, but it will lack the normal car sub sound, so some of your decision will depend on taste.

(Edit: Grammar & Spelling)

Edited by DIYiT

Here are a couple of simulations for you to ponder - first is a closed box, the second is ported. With a sealed box you will achieve a nice flat response (less cabin gain); with the ported you will get the added thump due to the peak in the response:

ixl18-155l-closed.gif

ixl18-155l.gif

Here is another one with a 35Hz tune. As DIY mentioned, it will not produce the 'peaky' boom sound so many folks are accustomed to. If you are after that sort of sound, I don't think the IXL is for you.

ixl18-155l-35hz.gif

If you like some of the "kick" and "slam" that most people are accustomed to, port it 35 Hz or higher. However, a friend has the IXL in a 7.5 cu ft box tuned to 30 Hz. I love the low end, but it doesn't have the "kick" that his previous Audiobahn 12 or MJ-18 had. The IXL is a low end monster, but it will lack the normal car sub sound, so some of your decision will depend on taste.

That "kick" is midbass, which a subwoofer has no business reproducing IMO.

ANeonRider is right, most of the "kick" IS in the midbass, but since most people use subs with too high of a crossover and a tuning which creates high amounts of harmonic distortion in the 80-150 hz range, most people experience large amounts of midbass from their subs. The IXL however, due to it's high inductance, produces very little for midbass; add to that the pure output it has at low frequencies, and the IXL will seem to produce no midbass at all, which I believe to be a very good thing, however tastes differ, and if you're looking for some of the normal sub "kick," look into the MJ-18.

Very good points. Perhaps the OP should be looking into decent mid-bass drivers instead..

I can agree with you here to an extent. Many kick drums can easily reach 40Hz which should be handled by a sub. A snare drum can also produce a "kick" or sorts, but definitely not on the low end of the spectrum.

TO the OP, remember, every application will differ and there are ways to "make the woofer" work how you want it. It's usually just easier to buy the proper equipment versus toying with it.

When is the IXL 12.4 or 15.4 coming...i need a competitor(price and soundwise) to the icon12