Sign in to follow this  
dogstar

Resonant Engineering SX12 box sizes

I finally got myself a better sub, a RE Sx12.

I have the recommended box sizes from RE, but I decided to play with WinISD a little and noticed some big disparities.

RE recommends 1.5 cubes at 33hz for a compact box, but WinISD seems to want a 0.75 cube box with some crazy port lengths.

Am I doing something wrong, or is WinISD just weird?

I followed WinISD's instructions and the parameters it calculated seem to match up with what RE has provided.

RE also suggests a 2.0 cube box at 35 hz... Can anyone point me to an info page that spells out what effect ported box sizes have on output?

I'm expecting to have to build a few different boxes to get things perfect, but how better to learn right :)

i had winisd on my computer, i finally deleted it lol. it can be a little off and computer generated graphs and numbers aren't always going to be the same in the real world, especially after you had your cars acoustics to it. i've found that 2-2.5 cubes at 33 hz is good for a single 12. 3.5 at 29 hz gives you a bloated low end and 1.5 at 36 doesn't play very flat or low. 2.5 at 33 is a good median.

I'm going to have to do something.

I did a 2.0 at 34 hz as recommended by RE.

Thinking my port dimensions got screwed up someplace because it sounds great, but just doesn't get very loud on 1100rms.

Back to the drawing board, going to use trupan or superlite mdf next time though.

yeah, i have a 12 sx arriving at my door pretty soon, prolly another week from now so i want to build a box now and just throw it in the enclosure and be bumping on the arrival day lol.

i was thinking 2.25cf @ 32 hz sincce the sub displaces .16 so it will be around the optimum 2 cubes.

GOT ANY PICS??