Sign in to follow this  
Typo_Knig

Rusty backplate

So I pulled my Rl-p15 out of it's home and lo-and-behold there is a bit of surface rust on the backplate.

What I want to know is, would there be any harm in taking it off with some Scotchbrite and then maybe wiping it down with some WD40 on a soft cloth?

Obviously I would take precautions so as not to introduce any FOD in to the vent/VC area.

Thanks in advance.

I say tape up the pole vent and go for it, lightly of course. Good call on oil'n it just a little bit to keep more surface rust from forming. You live in a crazy humid area?

You live in a crazy humid area?

No, not really. Tucson, but we had a fairly heavy rainy season this year with quite a bit of humidity.

You could take a piece of tin foil & spray a little bit of WD40 on it, then rub that on the rusted spot. Trick my boss taught me, he works on old motorcycles a lot.

If there are any problems with this, please let me know, but it has worked in the past for me.

em about 2 years ago my car ended up flooded with sea water with all my equipment in it. at the time i had an SX12. the day after the flood waters went away i pulled the sub out and rinsed it down with clean water. the sub sat around for months and well it rusted up pretty bad. what i did was i got some Phosphoric Acid from home depot along with a scrub pad. since i was able to get the entire motor wet with the stuff it was easier for me to clean the rust off. but since yours is on the back plate i'm sure you could just submerge the very bottom of the back plate for a few hours. then scrub off carefully though never allowing the acid up the vent pole(could try to stick a cork in it). here's some before and after pics.

9f5c7037.jpg

638817dc.jpg

984740a3.jpg

d548f0a8.jpg

74326cfd.jpg

2160399e.jpg

c865ffbc.jpg

all the rust in the motor was scrubbed out and well never rusted up again(almost 2 years later), that being i live on an island with about 85%+ humidity daily.

Edited by fbi90909

My RL-p 12 has a little rust on the back. Some good metal cleaner got much of it off.