Sign in to follow this  
blue fury

sub enclosures (drawn pics)

Ive had my 1 rfr3110 in a regular square-ish prism shaped ported box no polyfil and at first all I wanted was boom. At higher volumes, theres a noise that I dont know how to describe, but I think its just reverb from within the box or something. Now im tired of boom and really want smooth bass, just LOUD smooth bass. By the way, its in a chevy lumina trunk, stock battery, will have 200A alt, 1x dub8001 (i know, not the best by far...). I have another sub (same kind) and amp (same as the amp im using) and im just saving up for an alternator, so in the meantime Ive been thinking of boxes that will help boost sound quality and eliminate standing waves. The point for this topic is to get some opinions and guidance, what I could do to a box- inside and out of it- to increase sq. info on sq, etc.

Heres a couple ideas

pushpullport1.jpg

approx. 30"x40"x13" port area approx 30sqin.

This box is single chamber with ports on the sides that can go into the box Id say no more than 5 inches, all depending how long the port needs to be (havnt entered the info to BBpro6 yet so length is unknown). Polyfil = the little curves in front of the big corner curves. I made this single chamber cause I was thinking a push pull situation. I dont know much about how push/pull affects sq or spl, would it be better?

tubebox.jpg

approx. 13"diameter x 40" port area approx. 30sqin

Didnt realize how bad this came out til the preview! This one is one chamber per sub, pretty much a tube enclosure. Curved inside and outside edges/corners as the previous box. The port runs on the outside edge of the box and angles in, then angles again to run along the inside of the box for a short distance. The port is approx. 8"x4", dont remember exact measurements. About the back of this box... I was thinking a conical back with a dull point might pierce the general center of the soundwaves and bounce them to the walls instead of directly against the rear of the driver. Since its a tube, should I be worried about the length of the tube- like will some wavelengths match the length of the tube and cause distortion somehow? Am I on the right track with these ideas?