Sign in to follow this  
soundmekanixdan

Fi SSD's with 400-500 watts each?

Its looking like a bunch of SSD's or the Ascendant equivalent for the new bass race system, with the amps I will have each sub will be getting about 400-500 watts each (most likely 12 x 15's sealed)....i know thats below the rms rating for the ssd's but the idea is that I'll be able to demo and bang on the system a lot longer, plus i like having a 3in coil woofer. Just wondering if anyone has ever used SSD's with this kind of power? Results?

What are you running? 2 3000s?

Lil John I think had 600rms on his 16 12 SSDs and them babies MOVE!!!!

I'll have 4 of the sundown saz-1500's

You can get at least 700rms to each if you run a 16volt system!!!

that would be pointless Im sure for him 12volt is where its at

I don't see the issue with it.

Use copper coils...

If i remember correctly there were issues with the sub being sealed and playing for long amounts of time. Forget who scott was talking to, but his ssd's were having problems heat issues from the sealed enclosure.

agree on the copper coils.

that would be pointless Im sure for him 12volt is where its at

I'm not claiming to know everything nor start an arguement but

1 do you know him?

2 the point would be to find an extra 2500 watts for 16 15s w/the amps he plans on using. pointless?

3 since SAZs are capable why not take advantage? seems like 16volts is where its at.

I don't see the issue with it.

Use copper coils...

:drink40:

I don't see why there would be any more issues than any other conventional driver when sealed...

If i remember correctly there were issues with the sub being sealed and playing for long amounts of time. Forget who scott was talking to, but his ssd's were having problems heat issues from the sealed enclosure.

agree on the copper coils.

Scott talked to lil john about the hair dryer effect he has with his sealed enclosure of 16 12SSDs. But didn't Scott also say there is a new cooling option................yes here it is..........

I just finished adding a new option for the SSD and Q series subs.

This new option adds a machined aluminum compression plug to the pole which helps channel all of the air under the dustcap around the coil for better cooling. To aid with this increased airflow we also add 6 axial cooling channels in the top plate. Along with increased thermal capacity comes the addition of an extra spider and a changed spider pack for a little extra mechanical ability.

All of these new features increase power handling from 200-500 Watts depending on the application.

Its just another way of tuning and tailoring your subs to your exact needs.

For those interested in a retrofit... we can only add the aluminum compression plug to the pole during a recone. We can not add the 6 axial cooling channels to an already assembled and magnetized motor. The addition of the aluminum piece will aid in cooling, but at about a 25 - 35% reduction vs having both the plug and cooling channels. The retrofit and plug is $25.

Thanks...

Scott

Also from Scott to lil john

liljohn... the options would work great for you... except that you create little bakers ovens with the heat you have in those sealed enclosures in your diamond. Youd reach the same problems after everything inside heated up to the same point... and YOU will heat it up to the same point... Couldnt be happier how relentless you are with the volume knob and demos

Im putting pen to paper to figure out a nice solution to that issue... I think we can solve that one and tame the hair dryer you have going on in there...Scott

I am a lil john fan his SSDs are the main reason I'm heavily favoring SSDs myself. I sold my BTL and want the smoooth sound I hear in lil johns van. 418Fis

I don't see why there would be any more issues than any other conventional driver when sealed...

I agree, and I am not sure if that was a design issue with the enclosure that the guy is using or is it an issue with the subs.

Also the sub has plenty of coiling options so im sure he won't have any issues using the ssds..

However I want to see somebody do a huge install with the AA Arsenals.

I knew a guy with 8 SSD's in a blazer and it was nasty loud..

i looked at the arsenals and the reason I want to go with the ssd's is that i'll be able to add a bit more power later if i want

That is true....

:drink40:

Sign in to follow this