Sign in to follow this  
chubgo

12" or 15" q

I can't decide on what size driver to get. It will be going into a 2000 jeep grand cherokee. The dimensions of the cargo area are approx. 30" x 15" x 42" which is ~10.4 cubic feet, however i'd like to have some space left. I'm thinking about about powering the sub with either a kicker zx 1000 or kx 1200.1(open to other comparable amp suggestions). Any particular advantages to each driver? Would the 15 be louder? I know its all install dependent. I listen to rap/hip hop and classic rock mostly(more hip hop though). Not really going for an SQ system, just want the substage to be tight, responsive, and get loud when i want to? Any input is appreciated.

I can't talk about the 12" Q cause i've never heard/owned it but i do own a 15" Q and love it. Some of the other guys can chime in with the respect to the differences between the two but i think if you're just going to have one sub back there you should grab the 15. I have one installed in my 1998 GMC cargo van powered up by a Kicker kx12001.1 amp sitting inside a 4ft^3 box tuned to 28hz and after a month now i'm still "Oooing" and "Ahhing" it. Previously to it, i had 4 JL Audio 10w3v2's in a sealed box running off the same amp and the difference between the two set-ups are night and day. I've said this before... And i'll say it again! The JL's got loud, but the Q gets loud and low. It's been keeping me busy hunting down rattles through out my van that i've never had to do before. And believe it or not, hahaha, i've been having fun doing it! As far as music goes, it plays everything better. Rap is brutal, and rock is more warm and full sounding. Less tinny than before which makes it alot easier to turn it up louder and still enjoy it. I was one of those guys that believed the old rule of, "10's are for rock, 12's are for a mix, and 15's are for rap", but not anymore. As far as i'm concerned, 15's are where it's at. I don't have tons of experience with different subs but i can say that the 15" Q is the best one i've ever owned. Oh and before with the JL's i would always try to turn up the subs to catch the mids/tweets powered by just my head unit. And now, it's the mids/tweets that i'm trying to turn up to catch my sub. Especially on rap! Sure i can turn the sub down a little, but that's not what i bought it for. And besides, i figured out a better solution, and my new amp for my 6.5's is on it's way.

In other news, check out my "For Sale" listing here...

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...showtopic=12950

Previous to purchasing my Q i had both amps. One was being used and the other wasn't. Every now and then i'd switch them out when i was bored and couldn't find the cash to buy more chit, lol. So i guess my point is, they both work great and i know this! Why i'm selling them is simply because i've been bitten by the Steve Meade bug and i NEED!!! 4, 15" Q's in my work truck, lol! Thanks Steve! And with all them subs in my van, i simply won't have the room for 4 amps too and still be able to do my job. So i need to switch to something else. Nothing more, nothing less. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks for the input...i'll probably get the 15 since i have the space for it. The 1200.1 wasn't too much for the q? Did you get any options on it?

No problem man... I'm glad to help!

I purchased my Q with the BP Power option and it's been taking the Kx 1200.1 just fine. I was a little worried too that the amp may be a bit too much for the Q so i asked Scott what he thought. He had a chance to up-sell me to a BL and make some more money perhaps off the extra options but didn't. He said as long as the Q has the BP Power option it should handle the power of the amp. And he was right. I've run it for hours on end already with no problems. I'm pretty much at the point of setting it and forgetting it without any fear of damage to the sub if one of my friends gets a hold of the remote while i'm not there.

Sign in to follow this