Sign in to follow this  
drxlcarfreak

Fi Q 12" vs. 15" Ported vs. Sealed

Hi guys,

I finally have purchased all of the components for the first stage of my system except for the subwoofer. As the title says I am trying to decide on the size and box type to use. I have a 2001 Jetta and will be using Cadence amps which are very long. Earlier I was trying to fit a 15" Q in a slot port enclosure and was having a very hard time fitting everything in my trunk and still having access to my spare tire.

I have only heard sealed enclosures before, would I benefit from the larger enclosure and reduced trunk space? How would a slot ported 12" Q compare to sealed 15"? These options seem much better for my limited trunk space. What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks!

Personally I would go with the 15 and seal it, Fi suggests as small as 2.0 sealed for the 15.

All depends on your goals. Personally of course the sealed 15 is the way I'd lean, but you might be looking for something else.

i dont think you will go wrong with a sealed 15, escpially if you want that tight, deep, and accurate bass

i dont think you will go wrong with a sealed 15, escpially if you want that tight, deep, and accurate bass

Your right about the tight accurate bass. But deep im not so sure about. If your looking for deep, ported is the way to go.

Your right about the tight accurate bass. But deep im not so sure about. If your looking for deep, ported is the way to go.

Umm, a sealed enclosure can extend down lower, just with out the peak of a ported enclosure. The port of a ported box is for the most part a physical subsonic filter.

If you want more of a peak down low, a low tuned ported enclosure is the way to go.

Sign in to follow this