Jybfan04

Home Theater Reciever

What are some good Home theater Recievers?

I am looking to start piecing my HT setup and would like to start with a good Reciever that puts out decent power that doesn't hurt the bank...

Im looking at either a 5.1 or 7.1

looking to stay under 400 bucks..

Edited by Jybfan04

Used is going to be your friend. The real question is what is available used locally?

Oh, and 7.1 is unnecessary and useless unless you have one hell of a gargantuan room. It might be hard to find only a 5.1 though.

Oh, and 7.1 is unnecessary and useless unless you have one hell of a gargantuan room. It might be hard to find only a 5.1 though.

Agreed. I was fortunate enough to get into a house with such a room, so 7.1 is quite fun. But if this is a relatively normal dwelling (see; 1000-1700sq.ft.), 5.1 is probably a much better option.

Of course you might not have a choice. Most of the newer receivers are either 6.1 or 7.1 now. But don't let that stop you. Most of them have 5.1 modes so you don't have to worry about buying and setting up extra speakers.

So 5.1 it is...

I seen a cpl of denon receivers on sale on circuit city website less than 300 but I have no clue what to really look at to determine whats good and whats not good.

If you're interested in this, let me know. I have a used one doing nothing in my basement right now that i'd be willing to sell you.

Sony STR DE-835

Product Features

* Dolby Digital and DTS decoding

* 5.1-channel analog inputs

* 100 watts per channel

* 32-bit DSP with 27 acoustic environments

* 8-function input selector with phono input

Technical Details

* Power output, stereo mode: 100 watts per channel x 2 into 8 ohms (from 20 to 20,000 Hz with 0.09 percent THD)

* Power output, surround mode: 100 watts per channel x 5 into 8 ohms (at 1,000 Hz with 0.8 percent THD)

* Digital-to-analog audio converters: 24-bit, 48 kHz

* Analog-audio inputs: 9 (phono, CD, MD/****, tape, TV/satellite, DVD/LD, video 1, video 2, 5.1-channel surround)

* Analog-audio outputs: 6 (2 subwoofer, MD/****, tape, video 1, video 2)

* Digital-audio inputs: 3 Toslink optical (MD/****, TV/satellite, DVD/LD), 1 coaxial (DVD/LD)

* Digital-audio outputs: 1 Toslink optical (MD/****)

* Video inputs: 2 S-Video, 4 composite video

* Video outputs: 2 S-Video, 3 composite video

* Surround processing: 24-bit Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic and DTS decoder; 32-bit Digital Cinema Sound system with three Cinema Studio modes; Virtual 3D and Virtual Theater modes

* Tuner memory: 30 AM/FM stations in any combination; Station Memo display (lets you assign names to your preset stations, such as Rock, Classical, News, or Jazz)

* Tone controls: 3-band digital equalization (+/- 10 dB) with selectable center frequencies

* Headphone jack: Yes (gold-plated)

* Special effects: Variable delay time; variable surround-effects level; dynamic range compressor

* Remote control: Yes (preprogrammed Remote Commander RM-PP402, operates many brands of AV equipment, including digital satellite receivers and DVD player menu control)

* Screen dimmer: Yes

* Other features: 4-ohm/8-ohm switch, 2 AC outlets, sleep timer, rear channel stereo

* Supplied connection cables: RCA-connector AV cable (stereo audio and composite video), 2 S-Link connectors (for control via other Sony S-Link-compatible products), radio antenna

* Dimensions: : 17 by 6.25 by 15 inches

* Weight: 27 pounds, 8 ounces

I also have these a pair of these speakers i bought with the system that i'm not using either...

Sony SS-MF515