soundemon

avalanche 15" subwoofer driver problem

Hi All

I've got 2 Avalanche 15" drivers, both of which I recently got from shipped from the US. I also recieved the EP2500 I'm going to be driving them with just a few days back. Im eventually going to be installing an IB sub for HT, but for now I'm going to build dual enclosures.

Yesterday I hooked each of them up without enclosure, (haven't build them yet!) just to make sure they work. one works fine, but the other makes a "tapping" or "clicking" sound as it moves. the sound is like the sound it would make if you put your finger close enough to the cone that it hit it every cycle.

I checked to make sure that the surround and dustcap are well attached and not "flapping" or anything, and checked each tinsel to make sure these arent the culprit. (IE they're firmly attached, and not hitting against the cone)

When you push down on the cone, it makes a very faint creaking / rubbing sound. the other one is dead silent. The guy who shipped this one to me put in it a huge box with a ton of peanuts, and some got inside the magnet assembly, but i've cleared them out, and inspected the inside of the magnet with a mirror to see if theres any more in there, which there seems to be none.

Anyone have any idea what this might be, and any way I can fix it? I'd hate to have to return this sub as they're very rare, and the shipping cost me almost as much as the sub itself!

Thanks everyone for your help!!

did you measure the resistance on the coil(s) yet?

Yep, they each measure 1.5 or 1.6 ohms. (whew)

If you shake the sub, can you hear the coil moving around? Possibly a loose coil.

did you measure the resistance on the coil(s) yet?

Yep, they each measure 1.5 or 1.6 ohms. (whew)

If you shake the sub, can you hear the coil moving around? Possibly a loose coil.

Theres no rattle or anything moving around that I can hear. interesting thing is that the noise you can hear when you push the cone down changes. sometimes its a longer sound, sometimes isolated to a specific region, sometimes it seems to not be there at all. I've inspected this thing a million times from a ton of angles, I'm stumped: there seems to be nothing rubbing, nothing interfering etc. I just keep looking, hoping something'll pop out at me...

All help so far is appreciated, please anyone else with ideas speak up!

if it changes.. it sounds like something went up the pole vent and is in the coil gap. Like a piece of a foam peanut.

Maybe find yourself some compressed air and blow it out real good while gently moving the cone around.

You recently had those drivers shipped to you. What were they packaged in?

We're thinking along the same lines: the guy put them in a huge box with a ton of peanuts. some had gotten up inside the magnet. I cleared all those out when it first arrived. (no easy task) So where else could one be stuck? I've put a small mirror inside the magnet and could see nothing. I've also pushed the cone up and can see the coils, and have looked from all angles, but can see nothing.

its slightly damaged wont sound good at low tones

What makes you say that? what kind of damage? Anything can be fixed. be more specific please.

What makes you say that? what kind of damage? Anything can be fixed. be more specific please.

Are the spider and surround attached on all sides?

I doubt AAfanatic knows what he's talking about..

Did you try blowing the sub out with compressed air yet?

when looking at the sub from the back is the magnet centered? I had an ava with an off center magnet but luckily it wasn't far enough to rub.

Are the spider and surround attached on all sides?

Everything seems to be glued down and not flapping.

I doubt AAfanatic knows what he's talking about..

Did you try blowing the sub out with compressed air yet?

I was away for a few days but I'll be getting a can today. I'm very hopefull on this one!

when looking at the sub from the back is the magnet centered? I had an ava with an off center magnet but luckily it wasn't far enough to rub.

I've sat and pushed the cone up by hand enough to see a good portion of the coils. I carefully pushed the cone up and then turned the sub by 10 or 15 degrees so I could see the assembly from as many angles as possible, and there didn't seem to be any interferance or rubbing between the coils and the magnet. is this what you mean, or is there something else I can look for?

Well I've blown the driver out thoroughly using compressed air, and the sound persists. It looks like my next step is to take the driver apart, but I'll need to find a recone kit before I'll take this step.

I've started another thread looking for one

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...showtopic=13891

If anyone can help I'd be greatly appreciative!!!

I am having the same issue, coils read 1.5, no rubbing, same noise, and only sometimes... I think its a loose coil.

Well I've blown the driver out thoroughly using compressed air, and the sound persists. It looks like my next step is to take the driver apart, but I'll need to find a recone kit before I'll take this step.

I've started another thread looking for one

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...showtopic=13891

If anyone can help I'd be greatly appreciative!!!

I am having the same issue, coils read 1.5, no rubbing, same noise, and only sometimes... I think its a loose coil.

Took the sub out and free aired it, I think my speaker wire was too long from the coil to coil, so I trimed it so it would fit around the basket tighter, and the sound went away. Imagine that, me = teh newb.

have you tried running power to the sub? could be a bent former, or loose VC. also have you tried taking a flashlight and shining it through the spider to see if theres anything rubbing?

have you tried running power to the sub? could be a bent former, or loose VC. also have you tried taking a flashlight and shining it through the spider to see if theres anything rubbing?

Mine is for sure rubbing now, stopped last night and started again today... I free aired it and it went away, I don't know what the fudge is going on. Can this be fixed without a recone? Sorry for the noob questions, I have never had this issue before..

I've put a flashlight to the spider and looked thru, and pushed the cone up so I can see the top of the coils and the former. I've then turned the sub and looked at it from every possible angle turning the sub around a full 360 degrees and I can see no rubbing, no interferance, and nothing that looks loose.

I'm running with one coil shorted and power to the other set, for a 4ohm load. I'm using the LFE signal from my HT reciever and clean power from a crown K1 Pro amp.

Edited by soundemon

Mine is for sure rubbing now, stopped last night and started again today... I free aired it and it went away, I don't know what the fudge is going on. Can this be fixed without a recone? Sorry for the noob questions, I have never had this issue before..

Whats "free aired it" mean? just removed from its enclosure? Mine hasnt been in an enclosure yet (since it's been in my posession) and just driven with test tones to test.

Whats "free aired it" mean? just removed from its enclosure? Mine hasnt been in an enclosure yet (since it's been in my posession) and just driven with test tones to test.

took it out of the enclosure and played it with some tones and music and the rub went away idk what is going on with it man.