BASS OUTLAW

how i leraned to install

Who did ya the installs ??  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who did ya the installs ??

• Alone
    • With a friend
    • Prof. installer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when i was NEWB (am still a newb) befor 3 years when i didnt even knew how to install the HU. i went to some1 and asked him to install the HU n he charged for very low amount of money , after he did install the HU,he did it great,then i asked him to install the amp, then he connected the amp power wire parallel with the HU power wire, and also the ground wire with the HU ground wire,(unfortunatly the amp didnt work efficient because of low current goin throw it). and he also blowed up my high current outputs,by connectin the hight current outputs from HU , to RCA AMP terminals.and after all he came tellin me that my AMP is crap , and it cant push my subs. WTF!! then i went home, reviced the manual for AMP, and i connected it right, and it worked like there is no tomorrow, now came the other thing, 2 pioneers free air series, and they cant be mounted at the back of the car its too small, and i didnt have the time/money to built an enclosure, so what did i do ?? i took my home kenwood speakers 25w rms (underratted) and i smuggled each one under the front seats,and facin backwards, and punched them with 250w with the gain at max!! each from the amp that i just installed , they sounded grate, am not talkin about 120db even but, they where producin mid bass like hell, they did shake the car and u can hear them also from outside up to 10metres, plus i remember that biatch was ridin with us, she was sittin at the back seat, n the sub facin right to her legs, when i justed turned the system to LOUD, she kept naggin to reduce the vol. because it hurts her stomach.

am starting to believe that any crap can sound good, u just have to find a way, u know what since that time i ve never went to any freak to install, and i hate ppl touchin my system , i used to stay all night long inside the car just to figure out a way so it can sound great , and it did.

you know what i learned? , when u do it your self u do it good, u just keep learnin from ppl and by trial and error like some ppl said here b4.

cause the installer never cares if it will sound good or no , he just want the bucks . n u get lost , he never mind.

PS: for every 1 who knows nothing about installs and want to start,my advice to u is to try in a cheap system first just like i did, blow ur head units billion times, and figure out y u blown it up , next time i bet u wont.

well thats may be the longest post i've ever posted

any ways good luck to all . PEACE :+1:

My old man used to own a towing business and when they would store the impounded cars, they would remove all the valuables inside, mostly being stereo equipment. Well, when these cars would go up for auction, my father would buy them for next to nothing and guess where all the equipment came. HERE! I got stuff all the time for free! It was lovely. Yet, this is not what got me started in audio.

Hell, I was 11 years old and was riding my bike in the park when I came across a rather long length of speaker wire sitting in the parking lot. I picked it up and took it home to investigate. Asked my father what it was and he said, "speaker wire." From that point I just started to play with the wire and gradually it grew into this hobby I have now. I remember days of blowing up countless pieces of equipment trying to figure out how to wire everything. I must say, blowing stuff up is the best way to learn. That way, you always know what NOT to do. B)

I always advise people to start out with cheap crap from Wal-Mart ... That way if you blow it you can return it and, even if they don't take it back, it didn't cost you very much ;)

i got into installing/building by necessity...

i could (until about 5 1/2 years ago) never afford to pay somebody to do it. i bought everything at pawn shops or traded for it or something along them lines. if in the trade no box was included, i built a sealed one. usually out of osb i got for free from where i worked. i knew nothing of impedence or series wiring or parallel wiring, hell everything i did was parallel and bridged..lol...could never understand why amps would shut off :lol:

as to h/u's and speakers, that was trial and error..i had a basic knowlege of vehicle wiring, so figuring out what was hot and what wasn't was never hard (of course i love todays install harness'...i liken them to duct tape!! one of the greatest ideas/inventions ever!) so wiring in h/u's wasn't to big of a deal.

of course, eventually i learned how to builf vented boxes, match impedence and general knowledge. i still don't know much about t/s parameters or real techy stuff..but hey, i'm still learning.

and that is the most important thing...be smart enough to know when you don't know enough, and always learn from those who are!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i am learning as time goes by....my first personal install is not done yet as a matter of fact. we just had a hurricane so that didnt help plus im waiting on one more sub and also trying ti figure out why my AC condensates so much, it drenches my whol passenger side.

i am learning as time goes by....my first personal install is not done yet as a matter of fact. we just had a hurricane so that didnt help plus im waiting on one more sub and also trying ti figure out why my AC condensates so much, it drenches my whol passenger side.

Sounds like a leaking heater core.

What kind of car do you have? Does it smell like antifreeze?

I learned to install by helping my neighbor's son with his cause I had small hands and speaker wire so I was a vaulable resource. Then after he moved on my friend Matt and I wired up my first system in My corsica. I can stilll remember all of what was in there. Kenwood tape deck, lamp cord for power and ground wire, no hole in the firewall but through the door jam, a 4 channel JVC amp that had a missing harness so wires were super glued in place, no secured so it slid all over. The sub a weathered and old but still Alive URBAN 12" sub in a house speaker box that had some holes in it. Gaines were maxed out. I still remember matt turning it up and cause then I thought it was loud i was female doging at him to keep it down, people were asleep.

Now I can afford them high priced installs done by the local shops, but you know what, i get more pride from a self installed 140.3 than I think i would "pro" installed 145.9

J