Sign in to follow this  
benz280se

help, need a box design.

can anybody help me with box design? i was just gonna make a box similar to the one i have in my escape for the ssd 12's but i kinda want something a little better. i listen to every type of music from bass music to jazz to rock. so the box would have to be versitile. the twelves only have copper coil option. i need help because the space is limited. i have a huge trunk but for some reason benz decided that was also a good place for the gas tank and spare. i am thinking that the port(s) should face up through the space in the rear deck that will be cutout. i have two sets of max measurements because one way the box would have to partially cover my amp and the other way it doesnt. first max measurments L:45x h:14 d:20 second set; L 36 x h 16 x d 20. i would like to try and get the depth lower than twenty if possible to make spare tire access easier. and i am also trying to keep at least 2cuft per woofer. if somebody has any old designs even similar to this it would be greatly appreciated. i would even consider buying a box that someone might be getting rid of cheap. thanks folks.

What is the box you have now?? Would be nice to know to make sure a new box is going to make much difference.

I personally would keep the subs and port(s) on the same side of the box. . .

Brian

Edited by BKOLFO4

the box i have now has just under 2 cubes per woofer. originally i was just going to duplicate that box and maybe use aero ports cause even though this box slams i get port noise. i really want a box that fits in between the wheel wells of the benz so it looks a little neater, i just dont know how to get the correct port size. i am terrible at math and the box that i built had the port size figured out already.

the box originally in benz th_39538_100_0161_122_436lo.JPG

clearer pic of box in escape

th_39541_DSCF2438_122_526lo.JPG

here is the temporary crappy prefab th_40259_DSCF2439_122_239lo.JPG

and yeah i am not too fond of having ports facing different than the woofers either. lol

Edited by benz280se

If you built 36 x 16 x 20 with the baffle 1.5" thick (internal would be 34.5 x 14.5 x 17.75), you could use a pair of 4" aero ports 13" long and have 4.6 ft^3 tuned to 32 Hz.

Brian

i know this will sound dumb but the baffle is the divider between the woofers inside the box or is that the extra wood supporting the woofers in front?

The baffle is the side of the box the woofers mount to. Use 2 pieces of 3/4" glued together.

Brian

Sign in to follow this