Tirefryr

Panel resonances....

Okay, well, I'm almost complete with the fiberglass enclosure for the MAG 15, but it's about 80% glass. I am having a little trouble with panel resonance. Now, this was just the first listening session and it was without any poly in the box. I'm wondering if polyfil will cure this or is there some other means I should look to? The actual interior has been sealed with rubberized undercoating, but it is not a very thick layer and hasn't seemed to do much other than completely seal it up just in case there were any small holes (which I know there's not because I'm just that good). Any help?

Edited by Tirefryr

I'm sure the box is thick enough.

You sprayed that rubberized or asphalt undercoating inside of the box? Which would you recommend ... rubber or asphalt ... I think I have asphalt based stuff by Bondo outside in a can ... I was going to use it on the outside of the box, but if it works on the inside ...

As for polyfill, I didn't really notice a difference with my Shiva's in their fiberglass box. I just took the bottom off and added a few moe layers and some more bracing ... solved my problem.

- Steve

Panels are 3/8" thick at minimum. I have bracing in them by means of sheetmetal inbetween the layers of glass. It just sounds a little "tinny" to me, and I'm attributing that to the actual material. I may be wrong but that's just how it seems.

The undercoating is rubberized; I am not aware of any asphalt type that you can spray. Interesting to say the least.

My bad, I phoned home and told my wife to check out the orange can that says Bondo on it and see what is on it. It's rubberized. Worth me spraying a layer on the inside of my box before I stretch the fleece over it?

Still trying to think of a solution for you.

- Steve

Worth it? I'm not sure. I did it more as a means to ensure there were no air leaks, even though I know there wasn't. Didn't want to take a chance on any small pinhole though. I alsothought it might help a little to dampen it instead of the nasty smooth resin. I guess it can't hurt anything to spray it on.

I will be doing some testing tomorrow with some polyfill hoping that will rid everything for me.