Sign in to follow this  
lillitnn92

truck box question(s)

so my RL-i 10 has arrived, now i'm waiting on the amp.

my 1st question is this. would putting the driver on the back side of the truck box be a bad thing? i know to allow for excursion clearance, but it would still be pretty close to the back wall of the cab (regular cab ranger btw). would there be some adverse effects from the air the sub is pushing not escaping away from the sub fast enough?

here is a crude 1 minute drawing. i was thinking if it would be alright to face backwards; i would extend the sides of the box to act as a separator between the box and cab. i've seen boxes like this before, but they were facing the front to give separation from the seat.

box1up9.th.jpg

this next idea was in case the above was a bad idea or maybe do it even in place of rear firing. i want to gain as much space for my passenger seat as i can and this idea seems to be the best for making the most shallowest box.

the idea was to try and accomplish what another company does (i forget who at this point). they make a bracket for the magnet structure to be butted up against the back of the box, you then drill a hole for the pole vent and the bracket helps seal the magnet to the box. obviously the RL-i does not have this bracket ability, but has anyone tried making something similar or just made a hole and sealed it off with a gasket between the two with success?

i have box making experience and i come from years of working maintenance for plants in my area, so i am pretty sure i can come up with something, but would it be worth it?

i know they both sound like stupid noob questions, but i can't find anything answering them.

I would just make sure nothing can get down between the cone and the back wall. I would suggest getting some Second Skin and putting a layer of Damplifer on the back wall.

what would be the distance in the first sketch? im no expert but i think the distance should be greater then what the pic suggests.

and if you're gonna make a box that shallow be sure to use bracing for integrity

I would just make sure nothing can get down between the cone and the back wall. I would suggest getting some Second Skin and putting a layer of Damplifer on the back wall.

i'm positive nothing would get back there, so i think i am safe there.

what would be the distance in the first sketch? im no expert but i think the distance should be greater then what the pic suggests.

and if you're gonna make a box that shallow be sure to use bracing for integrity

i was thinking about 1 inch

Edited by lillitnn92