Sign in to follow this  
waxnvx31

Fiberglass / Kevlar

I have a weird question; I plan on attempting to build some Kick panels. I have some Fiberglass and Kevlar material that might work. But I want your opinion. All this material is about .015 -.035 thick per layer, yeah it would take a lot of layers.

This is a Spun-lace polyester material, Its 4

Kevlar won't add anything over using woven FG other than significant cost. You don't need the tensile strength of the Kevlar or the light weight. The resin is what is going to provide the stiffness to the form, not the material.

Guest zedman

I would use it. I think it would be fine to use. Z

Thanks guys, Yeah i have loads of this stuff laying around lol, were is the best place to get the resin and curative? and what brands are good? The company i work for manufactures composite covers for papermills but the epoxy matrix we use takes 16 hours to setup at 300 deg. F. i dont think i will be using that lol.

You also got to throw resin type and price into the equation unless you have that laying around as well. Most kevlar requires epoxy resin, where as the standard mat's and cloths can be used with good old polyester resin. Either would work fine. :)

edit , I just read your post above this one. Is the kevlar the pre - impregnated variety ( already has a heat activated resin in it ? :)

No, non of this material is Prepreg, We do use some prepreg but we dont normally have that left over. The company i work for gets this stuff on rolls of 3000 yds and the leftover tail get trashed, some tails are 100+ yards.

Werd to yer mammy , I miss the days of free mat :(