Sign in to follow this  
WildSebring

SPL 12" Questions

Was thinking about switching to a SPL 12" Mach 5 Audio sub or a Fi BTL 12" ...

My question is about the SPL 12", can they be modded to Dual 1 ohm's or is Dual 2 the standard? Also, would I be underpowering the Mach 5 with 2 Sundown Audio 1500D's or would it be just right?

I've gotta make a decision, because I would like to be able to pull the amps down to .25 ohm or .50 ohm for competitions and the MTX 9500 12" I'm currently using, only comes in Dual 4 ohm so I'm only able to get both amps to see 1 ohm. Also what would be the best pricing shipped and who do I need to talk to directly on here? :)

Also would this sub be safe to play music on, on a daily basis?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Geoff :suicide-santa:

Edited by WildSebring

as far as i know dual 2's is standard, as for the power...it will take it just fine

Thanks for the input guys, and would this sub be safe to play music on in a musical box, around 40Hz daily? I like to demo the SAZ 1500D's every once in a while... :neil:

Would the BTL or the SPL be a better choice for SPL?

Any SPL 12" owners wanna chime in with some knowledge on it? :drink40:

I ran mine daily on 43hz for a while and it was just fine. I think as far as comparing it to a BTL for SPL i would say its install dependent. But from my own experience i feel that the SPL12 has better SQ then the BTL. As for under powering? hell no! 2 1500s is just fine. You dont need 10kw just to power the sub it sounds fine off of 2k+.

SQ is the least of my worries...but I do appreciate your input. Only reason I asked of the underpowering is I've seen people run 4000 watts to it, and I'm the kinda person that likes to take the risk and push a sub to its limit.

I want a sub that will pound your chest in, rip out your insides and stomp on them....which of these would do it better... :eek5wavey:

BTL or Mach 5 SPL ?

SQ is the least of my worries...but I do appreciate your input. Only reason I asked of the underpowering is I've seen people run 4000 watts to it, and I'm the kinda person that likes to take the risk and push a sub to its limit.

I want a sub that will pound your chest in, rip out your insides and stomp on them....which of these would do it better... :eek5wavey:

BTL or Mach 5 SPL ?

Did you read my post right? I said that a BTL vs SPL12 is install dependent meaning that both have the capabilities to get loud but it depends on the install. I would go for the Mach 5 because they are cheaper and well i like the construction a little more. As for pushing a sub to the limits? Look on ca.com and a member who is also a member on here but 10000 watts on one and it took it just fine. So pushing it to the limits means over 10k, if you got the will to do that then do it. If you want to put 4000 watts on yours thats cool but you will not notice a difference between 2 1500s and then going to 4kw. 3kw is in no way under powering the sub. These threads that about sub a vs sub b are kinda dumb because iam going to recommend Mach 5 because thats what i run but iam not going to sit here and tell you that its louder then a BTL. You can have a SPL12 but put it in a dumb box and say "oh this sub isnt loud at all" or "my friends BTL is soo much louder" but whatever............. Get the Mach 5.

Edited by Stuckinok

I'll be doing some more testing later in the week on high power on the SPL12, but as of right now, I'd say that you don't need to run 10k or even 4k to get the sub loud, we've been using it daily on 1500 watts, and it's most impressive.

Appreciate the replies, Mach 5 looks like a nice choice.....

Just most people dont wanna run 3500 watts daily, like me....

So who on here is the person to talk to about pricing and so forth?

If you live in the US, just head to SSA's store. It is listed there. :)

Best,

Mark

I am not an owner, but I did test the prototype. It took the full brunt of an Orion 2500D no problem, and the product model can handle more power then the prototype.

Thanks denim....

If it can take an Orion 2500D, it should be able to take a 4000 watt burst for 4 seconds on a burp... :)

I wanna push it hard, but not blow it..... I like to be on the edge... and I know some people may flame me for it, but I like to push stuff to its limits....Hell I ran a DCX 1000.1 PPi to a Kicker CVR 12" and it took it like a champ....

I'll be getting me a Mach 5 soon.. Wire it to 1 ohm, each amp will see .5 ohm.....Mayhem...

I'm going for 150 on a single 12" :drink40:

We have the SPL-12 packaged with the Sundown 3000D for a reason. ;) It can take the power, just be smart with it and if you are over powering it, the woofer should tell you and just back off a little.

Yea, this 9500 told me when it was being overpowered. The coils get stinky, so I backed the gain off until the stink went away... now it's good.

That is a nice package deal, and I would consider it if I didnt have the two Sundown 1500D's already. This sub(SPL 12) would be able to play music in a musical box, with no problems.... correct? They aren't like the RE MT's where you cant play music or are they?

Please correct me if If I am wrong... :shrug:

Edited by WildSebring

i would link you the review but i just got off work and im pretty tired..sorry :( someone did a review with the spl 12 vs a DD9500 and they said the SPL 12 was much more musical.

The one I tested did great (for an SPL sub) in 3.0 @33hz on music.