Sign in to follow this  
ronrico418

AA Havoc 18s Build and preview for my 418s build

Doug is quite busy these days working as an electricial on a big jobsite (go figure) Doug as always shown up at Daytona SBNs over the last 20 years with a wild vehicle. 16 15's, 16 12's, 24 12's!!! Dougs been away from the SCENE for about 5-6 years "guess" but I've been chattin' wit him quite a bit! He is someone who has usually been sponsored. He and Mark used to work as installers at Jeff Blair's AUDIOMOTION of Altamonte Springs back in 1988-1994? I heard Jeff went on to become president of MTX Europe? (anybody know for sure?)

Anywho, These guys were allways light tears ahead of their time. Back in 89-90 they showed up at the big sombrero (old Tampa Bucs Stadium) to take the show from the "and I guess still" bass nut legend Virgil Williams who drove the white s10 Blzer called Freddy's Nightmare with 16 15s in an awesome enclosure that worked with anything he threw in it. Originally though he was all RF. DOug, Mark, and Jeff showed up with a barely finished Nissan truck Red with white topper (I said barely) with 12 LANZAR 18s powered by I beleive 6 Red Beasts 2100HCCA's. Virgil at the time had 5 RF Mosfet Power 650's 4 on Subs 1 on mids and highs. Virgil had always been "the guy" on the east coast just like Fakuda out west (Everythings west of the FLA!)

These guys had taken it to the next level with their fearless leader who probably could have developed a launching system for NASA!!! hehe. 1989-90 mind you and they had done a couple things nobody had ever thought about before (and most havn't since) but I am here to let you in on their accomplishments. The 12 18s were in a loaded horn enclosure. Jeff eventually built my Blue Thunder 3410s enclosure a similar way when I was sponsored by MTX. Two of the magnets for the 18s could be seen if you bent down and looked up the rear wheel wells. Like the matching pair on top they we're mounted on the furthest extensions of the flairs and as where most people of today would mount at least those 4 inverted, they made room through the top and bottom of the enclosure by simply cutting "holes" through their cabinet for the 2 pairs and then "fiberglassed" over all 4 magnets back to the cabinet as to keep the rear wave sealed!!!

NO BIG DEAL?????????????

Now remember that subwoofers "dustcovers" back in those days were mostly "cloth"... In thier theory of wanting to completely seperate the rear wave-from the front wave - they decided to also add fiberglass resin to their dustcovers to stop any air that may pass through the sub via the spider (1) and the cloth dustcovers.

NO BIG DEAL?????????????

Here you go, See even if all of this was wrong in anyone's eyes today you have to love and appreciate the build, the theory's, the passion that these 3 endured by taking it "to the next level" in 1989-90. They then did several VERY COOL things.

• Measured the amount of resin, with a digital scale, that was used for a single woofer and the added that (for extra weight of the woofer) to the TS Parameters.
  • Played one sub for weeks to "break it in".
  • Figured out and the TS Parameters of thier "broken in" woofer.
  • Designed their "loaded horn" enclosure according to the new TS Prmtrs they had come up with.

It was the first time I'd seen a windshield move 7".... Like Tommy's Ho Problms. 1989-90 mind you!!! and the install was basically finished the morning of this infamous show. I remember a lot about that show but most of all them hoisting thier well deserved trophy over the FLA BaSS KING of that time. Precious moments etched into this bassers memories forever.

Eventually through my friend Kelly Caulkins and his 83 Yellow S10(RIP) I ended up owning 4 of those exact Lanzar 18s installed in a 4th order single-reflex bandpass enclosure and my "smurf" (actually called "Big League" Blue) 91 S10. Ran off a single 2250 SX Beastie. 250rms per sub this in all honesty is the only reason MTX ever "sponsored" me with 34 Blue Thunder 10s which was a big hit at Daytona SBNs in 1992. Besides Jeff from Audiomotion in Orlando, Eddie Gonzalez, "Camaro" Joe Moreira, (yes, installer currently for SQ repeat champion and "big gun killa" Eddie DeJesus) and myself Joey Rodriguez aka ronrico (418FIs) all from TAMPA FLA. installed my system in 30 days hearing it for the first time the Sat morning of the 92 Daytona SBNs(yes, we were their by 2PM Sat to compete) My sponsor had their famous Toyota 4X4 with the 3" plexiglass over the bed with 24 12s facing up into the plexiglass(all show no go) and the "Terminator Boat" with 4 15s (That thing was bad azz out on the water......Booooooooooooooooom......serious carry)

The box Audiomotion built for Kelly was very special and a lot of people know about it. 2 I can think of you all may know is Tommy "Ho Problems" and Mikey "lil jons installer of the quickly famous 1612 SSDs(don't know if he's helping w/ lil jons current build of 18AA15s!?) Currently this enclosure is being rebuilt in ode to our late Bass Brother "Kelly Boy" in my S10 Blazer! Going simple with (3X+ the rms of former enclosures subs) 4 Fi 18" SSDs w/ copper coils off of a (3X+ the power of former system's amp) single Sundown SAZ-3000D. Thanks for current build goes to first and foremost Kelly Caulkins 1973-2002, my fiance' Kelly Vail, (just happened that way ) and of course Jacob from Sundown and Scott with Fi/Ascendant Audio. Special thanks also for the "recreation" goes to some serious help, patience, and guidance form my boy Shawn Fleming and SSA's very own Shizzzon. Thanks Everyone. This build means everything to me and Doug (who I have not forgotten about) since it is for our fallen bass brethren Kelly "Boy" Caulkins. System will be on display at the 2009 Daytona SBNs as due for completion by summer along with a complete build log here on the #1 forum SSA....

Back to Doug's current build of 2 18" Havoc's. Here is a guy who has been "sponsored" many, many times and has asked me to build his enclosure (quite an honor) since I am up to date on the current happinin' equipment. He will be running the 2 18s off of a RF40001.

PS My fiance' actually got "into" (pun intended) this current install. Not going to check this for spelling - It's now 5:22 AM and I need to be at work in 4 hours but I couldn't stop typing. By the way Doug, if you are reading this, one of my neigbors called the cops on me beacause of my power tools last night so your box is gonna be 1 more day bro. Later

Enjoy everyone and thanks to all of SSA for your combined inspiration and guidance, Anyone want somebody to write a book? or an article contact me here hehe n/k. Joey

Kellygettingintoboxbuilding057.jpg

Kelly "girlie" aka tinkerboo

Kellygettingintoboxbuilding067.jpg

rounded the ports

Kellygettingintoboxbuilding074.jpg

double baffle

Kellygettingintoboxbuilding073.jpg

dem crackers (Tampa Thing)

explosion.gif

the result?

stay tuned more pics tomorrow......oh wait it already is tomorrow

Edited by 418FIs

Going to be nutts!

This is turned out to be a thread I am excited to read and check for updates! Good Lyck and keep us updated! :slayer:

ya, and no thanks to jpangkilla for getting his hand belt sanded while holding a piece of wood for the "box master"... haha jk thats chits gonna quad tho i cant wait.

ut oh, not the police! I'll have to keep an eye on this thread, looking good so far.

ya, and no thanks to jpangkilla for getting his hand belt sanded while holding a piece of wood for the "box master"... haha jk thats chits gonna quad tho i cant wait.

Thanks Jonathon,

Wouldn't say box master..... Still got lots to learn for master but I've been really comfortable wit my cuts lately and the way cabinets have been coming together. Learned a lot from the guys at Audiomotion along wit all my homeboys back in Tampa. SSA has been a big help along with the motivation from Kelly Boy. I'm ready to build my (Kelly's) enclosure yesterday but there are still 2 1/2 boxes in front of it. Will be the fourth time this same box has been built and the third time I have built it but it hasn't existed since 1994. (Third times a charm!) Also good to know the cuts have been memorized for 15 years for good reason!!!! Can't let somethin special like that go! Joey

This is Dougs current ride JEEP CHEROKEE sittin' on 22s. still has his tag from the Slayer S10 that had a heavy metal theme. THRASHN

Dougsfinishedbox024.jpg

Dougsfinishedbox026.jpg

And a look at some of the widescreen TV's in Doug's ride!

Dougsfinishedbox025.jpg

Edited by 418FIs

That S10 was one of the trucks that peaked my interest back in 92'. I have been hooked ever since. I have actually only missed SBN one year since. :) Too bad it has always been as a spectator. I hope that changes when I graduate. I look forward to seeing your progress, and hearing that S10. :D

That S10 was one of the trucks that peaked my interest back in 92'. I have been hooked ever since. I have actually only missed SBN one year since. :) Too bad it has always been as a spectator. I hope that changes when I graduate. I look forward to seeing your progress, and hearing that S10. :D

Are you talking about my truck with the 34 MTX 10s? BLUE THUNDER. Didn't dawn on me till now you might be talking about mine, I was just thinking that Doug's S10 was a 95? or newer model with the rounded front end compared to 91-94. On a side note while talkin S10s of course the original year 83? to 89 where the "BOX STYLE CHEVY TRUCKS" and though I like all s10s I chose an 88 for myself in this new or (my old "kinda") 418s FI w/copper coils. Also went with Blazer so I didn't have to do the whole topper thing although zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz now it's not as easy to put the box n the truck through the back hatch.

Chris do you have any pics you might be able to post or email of the 92 SBNs?

Anybody, Any old Daytona pics?

New Topic coming to a thread near you!

J2Z

Are you talking about my truck with the 34 MTX 10s? BLUE THUNDER. Didn't dawn on me till now you might be talking about mine, I was just thinking that Doug's S10 was a 95? or newer model with the rounded front end compared to 91-94. On a side note while talkin S10s of course the original year 83? to 89 where the "BOX STYLE CHEVY TRUCKS" and though I like all s10s I chose an 88 for myself in this new or (my old "kinda") 418s FI w/copper coils. Also went with Blazer so I didn't have to do the whole topper thing although zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz now it's not as easy to put the box n the truck through the back hatch.

J2Z

I was originally talking about Slayer. I will see if I can find the pics. I have a ton from every show I went to but they are all prints taken with whatever camera I could get my hands on. I will definitely look in the office closet(aka the dungeon). :D I look forward to seeing a thread full of old school goodness!

New Topic "old skool thread" sneak preview hehe

J2Z

I was originally talking about Slayer. I will see if I can find the pics. I have a ton from every show I went to but they are all prints taken with whatever camera I could get my hands on. I will definitely look in the office closet(aka the dungeon). :D I look forward to seeing a thread full of old school goodness!

Slayer was a 1994 S10. In 1992 Doug got the record at 153.8 in the 501-1000 class with his SLAYER Nissan P-up Truck with 12-15s Orion XTRs powered by 5 Orion 2100 HCCAs in a clamshell design. Later in 1994 in his brand new continued theme SLAYER Chevy S10 with the same settup beat his previous record that was still standing with a 155.9 Again it was the exact same same settup over 2 db louder in a his newer truck.

J2Z

Slayer was originally a Nissan p-up truck and later a 1994 S10. In 1992 Doug got the record at 153.8 in the 501-1000 class with his SLAYER Nissan P-up Truck with 12-15s Orion XTRs powered by 5 Orion 2100 HCCAs in a clamshell design. Later in 1994 in his brand new continued theme SLAYER Chevy S10 with the same settup beat his previous record that was still standing with a 155.9 Again it was the exact same same settup over 2 db louder in a his newer SLAYER truck.

The truck at the 92 SBNs was the Slayer Nissan, mine was the Blue Thunder S10 with 34 10s. Will put up a link here when I start a thread for Old Skool Daytona SBN Pics.

Edited by 418FIs

J2Z

Slayer was originally a Nissan p-up truck and later a 1994 S10. In 1992 Doug got the record at 153.8 in the 501-1000 class with his SLAYER Nissan P-up Truck with 12-15s Orion XTRs powered by 5 Orion 2100 HCCAs in a clamshell design. Later in 1994 in his brand new continued theme SLAYER Chevy S10 with the same settup beat his previous record that was still standing with a 155.9 Again it was the exact same same settup over 2 db louder in a his newer SLAYER truck.

The truck at the 92 SBNs was the Slayer Nissan, mine was the Blue Thunder S10 with 34 10s. Will put up a link here when I start a thread for Old Skool Daytona SBN Pics.

Ah yes, you are absolutely correct! The only pictures I have are of the S10 though. The pics I found were from a car show at the fairgrounds in Gainesville Florida. They had these crazy hanging lights in side the main building and they would hop around. They spaced the cars out so they wouldn't be directly under the lights. :)I need to figure out how to scan these pics and get them up. They bring back a ton of memories.

I wasn't able to finish completely, Doug came to pick up the box and I didn't even have the port on yet so we "slapped" it on and loaded it up in his Jeep. Also was able to paint the port.... that's me with the Brickyard Crossing golf hat on. (From the golf course that the Indy 500 rear straigtaway runs through.....Got to play that course the day before the 91st running of the 2007 Indy 500) Would have did a lil sanding and a neater job with silicone. You can see it hasn't dried to clear yet. All okay though, remember Doug is a completely capable installer! Today is day 3 of his weekend and has beenn building an amp rack, mounting Kinetic battery and tray, and building trim panels for enclosure. HE just didn't feel he would have time to do all this and build cabinet. You can see the box comes up to the headrests in the backseat and Doug can still see out of the rear window. A first for him since I've know him (18 years)

Dougsfinishedbox019.jpg

Here is a better pic of the badazz TV settup that will soon be rocking w/ 2 Havoc 18s!!!

Dougsfinishedbox030.jpg

Doug also has a motorcycle for sale if anyone is interested pm me. Selling it for a really great price---I'll just tell you this IT IS BAD TO THE BONE, one of a kind and has Turbo and Nitrous.

Edited by 418FIs

Sick install! I like the tv's too. :)

Thanks Chris

I just talked to Doug and he said it's lookin real nice now with the work he did today. He should have the 2 Havoc 18s by Wednesday. I told him to let me know when they're in so I could bring my Sundown SAZ-3000D down to his house and try it out on his new subs! It's like waitin' for Christmas mornin' and your know mom got you somethin' good!!!!! haha yessssssssssssssss...hope I get some sleep from now till then.

Will that truck be at SBN by chance?

He might be rollin through on Sunday but not in the competition. Not sure if he'll have the time off work yet.

Chris are you in FLA? PM me your # and maybe we can meet up at SBN and if Doug comes through I'll get you a demo!!! Joe

Will that truck be at SBN by chance?

He might be rollin through on Sunday but not in the competition. Not sure if he'll have the time off work yet.

Chris are you in FLA? PM me your # and maybe we can meet up at SBN and if Doug comes through I'll get you a demo!!! Joe

Info sent...

Don't know what happened but I'm off all day tomorrow if anyone near Ocala would like a demo of BTLs or Havocs

send me a pm ---

Chris gimmie call

Don't know what happened but I'm off all day tomorrow if anyone near Ocala would like a demo of BTLs or Havocs

send me a pm ---

Chris gimmie call

Not sure what happened to my phone. I appologize either way. I will have to catch up with you at SBN. Lots of projects due and tests this week. :( I don't even get out of class until 5PM Friday.

I will call you when I get into Daytona if not Saturday. :D

Chris

Hey man, I was a childhood friend of Kelly Caulkins, pretty sure it's the same guy. I've been looking for him for years. Can you please tell me what happened to him? I had thought that he was a few months older than me though and I was born in 1972, so you may have his birth year wrong or I have the wrong guy. But he did have an S-10 and was into bass and car stereos. any info you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brian

Sign in to follow this