Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

Projector FAQs

I was thinking about buying a projector for my Nintendo Wii for the weekends only so if anyone has any experience with projectors, come on in and fill me in with some info.

Now, this projector will only be used for the Nintendo Wii so i was looking for cheaper priced projectors.

The ones i'm looking at are 800x600 so res is compatible with the Wii.

These projectors i'm looking at have 1500-2000 lumens and about 2000:1 contrast ratio.

The cheaper priced ones are considered business projectors for some reason...

Anyways, i wanted to project this projector on our garage door outside during the weekends and have Wii battles out back at night.

So gots me a couple of questions.

Do i really need a projector screen?

I prefer not to have one since all the ones i see are mounted up and pull down.

This is suppose to be a quick setup, quick put away type of event.

These projectors i'm looking at range from 40-300" large so i figure 100" would be superior quality.

Out garage door is all white, smooth coating on it, no windows.

I figure i could get by with it fine using a large projected image on there...

And i wont want a projector mount either. I don't know exactly how projectors project images angle-wise but i figure i'd just set it on a table outside and adjust it from there.

So sound workable?

Sure, you might even save some money by dropping the lumens. Depending on how much ambient light is left, the most you'll ever really need in a dark situation is 1000 Lumens.

go buisness for what you are looking to do. They will probably be a bit more rugged. My HT has a pull up screan. They are pretty common and cheep if you look. I only have an 80", and it's not even high def by any means, but its gorgeous to me and everyone who comes by is verry impressed. they all think it's 1080p because it looks good and the buz word is out there. I think its maybe at best 720, but if I remember... it's only 480. If you are playing at night and have no ambient light you will be fine with a lower lumen set up. If I were you though I would pop the extra few buck for something durrable with a brighter light. You are not going for picture quality as even if you were putting out a proper 480 image no matter how nice and smooth the wall is, it won't be as nice as any screan or fabricated wall.

The only thing I have heard is the wii can sometimes be tricky with projectors due to the bar you put in front of your viewing area. also realise unless the projector is positioned above your head you will be in the light it's projecting. The other option it to place the projector close to the surface you wish to project on and play while standing behind, but this can be tricky also to get set up just right. I know I'm stating the obvious, but one of my friends purchased a projector and didnt' think about that fact. With his constraints he can't even play wii and be in front of the screan at all.

Good luck