Sign in to follow this  
king alpha

Alternator question

I currently own a 1995 Ford Mustang that I am thinking of trading it in (this car is great and cursed at the same time). This car has a 130Amp stock alternator and I currently have a SAE-1000D powering a Stereo Integrity Mag with 1000W RMS @ 1ohm. I also have a Crossfire CFA302 amp rated at 75W RMS x 2 @ 4ohms. I've never had a problem with these amps, so I never thought about upgrading my alternator to an aftermarket model that produces 200+ amps.

Anyway, I'm looking at a few different possibilities for my next ride. I want a Nissan 350Z or a new Mustang GT, but that would require saving up for the next few years. I also thought about getting a truck, either a Toyota Tocoma or a Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. Or go the cheapest route and probably the most logical right now, and get a Mazda Mazda3.

My plan for the sound system is to take off everything from the Mustang and put it in the new ride. So, will I run into problems running the same system if the Alternator of the new car is not rated as high as the old Mustang?

The new Mustang and the Tocoma supposedly has a 130 Amp alternator, so I don't think these cars will be a problem. The 350Z had a 110 Amp alternator. The Colorado/Canyon has a 125 Amp alternator. And the Mazda3 has a 90 Amp Alternator.

So my question is if I'll see a difference in performance for my sound system if I go from a 130 Amp to a 125 amp, or a 110 amp, or more importantly a 90 amp alternator because I'm leaning towards a Mazda3?

Oh yeah, one more thing, I may get a hold of a 1500 Watt amp (Massive P1500.1). How do you think the different stock amps will hold up to 1500 Watts?

I currently own a 1995 Ford Mustang that I am thinking of trading it in (this car is great and cursed at the same time). This car has a 130Amp stock alternator and I currently have a SAE-1000D powering a Stereo Integrity Mag with 1000W RMS @ 1ohm. I also have a Crossfire CFA302 amp rated at 75W RMS x 2 @ 4ohms. I've never had a problem with these amps, so I never thought about upgrading my alternator to an aftermarket model that produces 200+ amps.

Anyway, I'm looking at a few different possibilities for my next ride. I want a Nissan 350Z or a new Mustang GT, but that would require saving up for the next few years. I also thought about getting a truck, either a Toyota Tocoma or a Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. Or go the cheapest route and probably the most logical right now, and get a Mazda Mazda3.

My plan for the sound system is to take off everything from the Mustang and put it in the new ride. So, will I run into problems running the same system if the Alternator of the new car is not rated as high as the old Mustang?

The new Mustang and the Tocoma supposedly has a 130 Amp alternator, so I don't think these cars will be a problem. The 350Z had a 110 Amp alternator. The Colorado/Canyon has a 125 Amp alternator. And the Mazda3 has a 90 Amp Alternator.

So my question is if I'll see a difference in performance for my sound system if I go from a 130 Amp to a 125 amp, or a 110 amp, or more importantly a 90 amp alternator because I'm leaning towards a Mazda3?

Oh yeah, one more thing, I may get a hold of a 1500 Watt amp (Massive P1500.1). How do you think the different stock amps will hold up to 1500 Watts?

1500 watts depending on how you play.. maybe fine with a OEM alt and a bigg cell under the hood. with a nice fat power wire..... IMO.... but a second cell never hurts either....

The Tacoma with the tow package has a 130A alt. Everything without it has 60/80/90A.

Well i would at the least do your big 3 in some maybe 2/0 or 4/0 if you can get it.. but thats at the least... personaly i would get a bigger alternator for any of the cars, a good batt for under the hood and a 2nd batt back in the rear.. it takes power to make power:D