Need help with box design for 2 10" Icons for a trunk of an evo

box set up  

15 members have voted

1. 1. which is best?

• Fire towards cabin with port firing same way
    • Fire towards rear and port same way
    • Fire towards rear and port towards rear deck speaker hole
    • Other

If it is for appearances, then that sounds ok. But audio-neon is trying to help you keep all the sound in towards the cabin, so if the false panel is there, and not snug it could leak air back and make things a little funky like he said before.

it would be for just appearance as there is no way for me to totally seal it due to the trunk hinges, the panel will be very snug with the exception of the slots cut out for the trunk hinges to go through. it would just be for looks. so with this, i should definitely try to port up towards the rear deck speaker holes and have the subs facing the cabin?

Personally for a daily driver, I would do it that way.

If it is for appearances, then that sounds ok. But audio-neon is trying to help you keep all the sound in towards the cabin, so if the false panel is there, and not snug it could leak air back and make things a little funky like he said before.

it would be for just appearance as there is no way for me to totally seal it due to the trunk hinges, the panel will be very snug with the exception of the slots cut out for the trunk hinges to go through. it would just be for looks. so with this, i should definitely try to port up towards the rear deck speaker holes and have the subs facing the cabin?

denim & audio-neon,

thanks alot for all the help, really appreciate it!

denim & audio-neon,

thanks alot for all the help, really appreciate it!

No problem, besides you wouldn't want a trunk as ugly as mine was.

Just take your time and if you building any, measure 2 or 3 times before you cut.

lol

I am the guy who built this setup for the SSA Icons, and after reading the replies on here I can see where all of his questions were coming from.

With a test speaker in the trunk, it turned out sound was better with woofer/port firing toward trunk instead of toward cabin or upward.

As everyone on here is aware, things changed as the build progressed & I ended up putting the battery between the rear struts also, so box size had to shrink. I am sorry no update pics ever made it here, and I am sure all you SSA junkies were anxious to see what came of this poll.

So here ya go.

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

Raw unfinished box.

IMG_2336.jpg

Box.

Final design was 2.6cuft net tuned to ~31hz.

3/4" mdf, with 1" Lexan face. Inside painted metallic silver to match vehicle, rear wall fitted with mirror, and floor panel wrapped in silver CF vinyl with "EVO VIII" raised lettering centered.

Amp rack was also painted to match vehicle, & neon+strobes mounted underneath the amp (floating 3" off rack floor)

First impressions after seeing the subs, seriously overbuilt looking 8"s (cone area is small compared to huge surround :P ) Heavy as sin & looked promising.

Impressions after install & first listen?

OMFG!!

I have done a lot of systems (Top installer for my shop) and am very skilled in box designing & building.

1500w amp running these 10's and I was skeptical about the box size sounding good. From everything I have found is recommended volumes are always too small and I usually have better results when bumping the volume up and dropping the tune freq a little (on average anyway, & with mainstream subs).

The sound coming from these subs in this box is pure sex. Bass is insanely loud, hits low enough to make you cry, and is so damn crisp it feels like a sucker punch to the gut.

Also the sole reason why I have been browsing this forum ;)

Planning to build up a AudioPulse Epic 8" for my own car in the near future.

(since SSA 8" is a ways off & RL-i8 is also)

That is one sexy looking trunk. Congrats to the owner of the car and you, audiophyle, for such a nice setup. I will have (2) 10'' Icons sealed off 500 each in the very near future and although the output won't be near this setup, I am still very very excited. Great work!

Looks outstanding!

Javin,

never knew you posted the pics! looks great and as everyone can imagine, i am definitely happy with the set up. this set up is ALOT louder than my old set up and so damn clean with the install and sound! btw Javin, i have an idea for my truck, think it should be another surprise for you! will contact you soon!

nice!! contact me and i can fill you in on the rest of the info. thanks!

ok updated with more pics and info.

wow extremly nice build in that car!

nice web page too lucky u!

is this your way of asking me to update yours finally? lols

Vivek, I stumbled across your thread today & had to laugh a little. No wonder you were so indecisive on the port/sub locations. Worked out just fine though didnt it ;)

You took too long to share pics so I figured I better, poor guys here sittin & waiting forever.

Lemme know when you are ready for the truck, I cant wait to see what you have in mind.

hah iv heard about the update for months now. My old one still up there i noticed :)

but anways back to topic

got any Vids of these 10's?

hah iv heard about the update for months now. My old one still up there i noticed :)

but anways back to topic

got any Vids of these 10's?

well you sold it, so now there's no need to update. lol :Doh:

I just saw this thread for the first time and I now have a boner :)

The EVO is my favorite car, and I want another one (I can't figure out why I sold mine!!!!!!!!)