ss454

How does this sound for a HT setup?

Front main woofers-

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=295-364

Center channel and Rear woofers-

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=295-330

Tweets- (one in center channel, one in each main, one in each rear)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=277-408

Subwoofers-

2 RE RE 10's (you know what they look like)

Subwoofer amp-

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=300-793

I was thinking of running the ribbon tweet from Dayton but it has to be cutoff at 3k hz and there was a hard gap to fill between 2 and 3k hz. I want drivers that can bridge the gap and if the response graphs are anything like the real output of the peerless tweets then they are amazing for the price. I'm just going to run single drivers up front so that's why I'm going with the Reference series from Dayton. They have smoother responce than the other Dayton alum's I am using.

What do you guys think? I'm going for sealed all the way unless you think a TL would be better for the mains. AND I might run dual 7" alums like the others if you think those will work better than the single Ref series. ANy input would help a lot. This is for a medium size game room/entertainment room. My dad wanted a killer SQ HT setup for a good price and since I'm good with box design and we both can build anything we are going to do the DIY route. He's also getting either a 42" plasma or 52" HDTV!

You need to keep similar voice between the center and mains at the least. To run the 5.25 Alums for the center and surrounds, and 7 inch polys would be a terrible mismatch. I don't feel even a good crossover set-up will adequately correct for the issues. The likelyhood of the center being to forward and male vocals overpowering is almost assured.

Also of note, I noticed you mentioned crossing from 2 and 3K... Well the 7s will not fill the bill if you are looking to cross between 2 and 3 K, they will get very sloppy. Rolloff may be a bit sooner and more abrupt than you predict.

Port those mains... they are begging for it. TLs would be great if you were looking for primarily a music system, but it seems as if you want HT. HT will benefit from the slightly exagerated boost and agressive attack of ported mains, rather then the overly warm smooth TL sound.

The drivers are very decent units, and hard to beat for the price really. Set up a good crossover and you are ready to fly.

They say it has an aluminum cone on the Ref series. I also am crossing them at 1.5 I was just pointing out that I couldn't rind a driver to fill the gap from 2-3k so I could use the ribbon tweets. Are the response graphs accurate? They show those Peerless tweets SUPER smooth. What would you suggest for the center channel speakers then?

You may want to look into the new extended range 4" units from CSS. They are excellent drivers! I love mine! Will be a 1 driver solution for a center channel in most instances.

As for the main speakers, I myself like to stick with a larger LF driver so I can still retain some decent output down to about 40Hz where the sub will take over.

I don't know about the REs for sub duty either. I would go with a Tempest if your room is a little larger. It will handle the power a little better and will move a TON of air. Plus I just LOVE the Tempests for HT sub duty. Let me tell you, 4 of them IB is just like sex!

Well I went with all Aluminum cone 7" speakers. I am going to run a dual 7 on each side, 4 total, for the mains and a single 7 and tweet for the center and a single 7 and tweet for each side of the rear. I'm not sure on the sub now. I think a tempest will be way too large. This room is not huge but not small at all. My mom doesn't like the whole movie theater surround setup so I think I'm wanting to go with a low Fs 10 if possible. MAYBE a shiva but I think a Tempest will be WAY too much.

Tempest will not be too much. Might as well go big now and control the output with power. You can always add more power later to get more output.

I understand that too but it's not going in my house. It's going in a new addition my parents are adding at their house. Like a HT/gameroom/office complex. It is 2 story with a shower and kitchen and office but with a HT setup and game tables (no pool table though) Since it's still in construction I went ahead and made boxes in the ceiling for the rear speakers with a grill that will hide them! It's going to be one heck of a sweet setup. My dad wants to do a full EQ for music listening and I am all for it. 5.1 for everything else. All speakers and xovers and tweets shipped today. I can 't wait.