Sign in to follow this  
spikyho

Picking out a Sub and Amp

Hey guys, I've been lurking these forums for a few days now and I guess its about time to post.

I just got a brand new mazda 3 hatchback and I'm looking to upgrade the stock sound system with a sub and amp. My budget for an amp and sub is gonna be about $500 but I can stretch it to $600 if absolutely necessary. I've been reading the forums and am currently leaning towards running either a 10" or 12" Fi Q in a sealed box in order to save trunk space. I listen mainly to rap and hip hop but I also listen to some rock like radiohead, chili peppers, and rage against the machine. Basically my goals are to get a good SQ type sub that will add a good low end sound to rock songs but will also have enough thump to hit as hard as my friend's two 10" toxic audio subs (he has them in the trunk of a pontiac grand am). Do you think the Q is a good idea for what I'm trying to do? And also, what amp do you think would be good to pair with this sub? Thanks

Ryan

sundown amps FTW sae-1000 or a saz-1500 i would go sae 1000 plently of power in the thing and its small. IMO. more people will def chime in with there experience with FI Q heard nothing but happy people with the Q.

The sundown amps look pretty enticing but they're also pretty expensive and may put me out of my $500-$600 budget. Are there any other suggestions for amps that would do justice to this sub while also being a bit cheaper than the sundown ones? Also, where would you suggest buying a sundown amp from?

Ryan

the sae 1000D's msrp is a little higher than what they actually sell for. I think the ssa shop was selling them for a little over $300. The 12" Q cost $260, so that would put you a little under the $600 mark. The shop was also selling the Icon/1000D combo for $500 but they are out of icons at the moment.

You can also try and see if Jacob has any more used amps. I bought a used 1000D for $240 and plan on buying either a Q or Icon when I get the money.

The Q and SAE-1000D is a great idea, a number of people are happy with it. If you want to stick with the same companies but spend a little less, I would suggest the Fi SSD 12" and the SAX-100.2.

Word. Sounds like I may be getting a 12" Q with a sundown SAE-1000D to drive it. As far as boxes go, do you guys think I should go for a ported or sealed enclosure? and would it be better/cheaper to buy a prefabbed box or build one myself?

Right now I am in a 2.2 cu ft sealed box. I will use this for maybe a couple more weeks until I finish breaking the sub in and then more to a ported enclosure to let the sucker looooose...

Right now I am in a 2.2 cu ft sealed box. I will use this for maybe a couple more weeks until I finish breaking the sub in and then more to a ported enclosure to let the sucker looooose...

Isn't that box way too big for the sub? I read on this forum that for a sealed box, the volume should be from .8-1.5 cu ft. How does your current set up sound?

So I guess Jacob is out of refurbed amps but I still may end up getting a new SAE-100D. I've also been reading a bit about the AQ-1200D, which is around $80 cheaper. What do you guys think of this amp with the Q?

Sign in to follow this