Sign in to follow this  
stovebolt6

rockford fosgate eclipse 8" hybrid

well i have a eclipse 8808 sub ( three actually) that had some kind of short were the voice coil leads are soldered to the terminal leads.

this has been awhile now so i decided to cut it apart and when i got to a fresh part of the vc leads i was able to see the coil was still good so i cut off the coil as close to the cone as i could mainly to save for dimensions.

well i decided to order a rockford fosgate he recone to give it a whirl.

the mounting locations for the surround and spider are perfect, but the coil is way to short, and a little to large at its outside diameter.

so i am attempting to graph the eclipse coil onto thr rockford fosgate former.

i can't glue anything yet because i am waiting on some doupak mixxing nozzles to arrive but this is what i have so far.

eclipse basket and motor

custom8003.jpg

rf recone

custom8002.jpg

un doing the recone coil

custom8004.jpg

the eclipse coil

custom8001.jpg

shorting the rf former

custom8005.jpg

shorting the eclipse coil

custom8006.jpg

showing how the rf coil slides perfectly over the eclipse coil

custom8007.jpg

and trimmed up a little more to get the coil were it needs to be in the gap and ready for glue

custom8008.jpg

the part i am most worry about is attaching the two voice coil leads together as they are very then and fragile lol.

after taking some measurements the xmech is going to be mostly limited by the spider, if it even works lol.

i am done for today but i am going to work on it tomorrow after work some more.

i am going to align and glue the two formers together, and try to splice the two sets of vc leads together.

hopefully wed. my mixing nozzles come in that way when i glue the whole assembly in, and i can get some nice clean glue joints.

So you're attaching two different voice coils together??

I see nothing but problems in your future.

the rf coil is no longer a coil its just a former.

the eclipse was already bad, and with tc sounds/ audiopulse the way they are currently at. there is no way of getting a recone for these from them.

so i knew the rf he recone was a two inch coil so i bought on to see if it would work with the eclipse motor i originally had no intentions of trying what i am currently doing.

the only reason i had saved the eclipse coil was for id and od measurements. of course the rf recone doesn't fit, the spider, and surround landings line up perfectly.

the rf coil was to short and with the windings on it a tad to wide. the parts were already in my possession, and now have no use for either so i figured what the hell lets see.

so i tried slipping the two formers over on another to see if it was close, and it was. so i unwound the rf coil, and got out my micro calipers, and took alot of measurements.

i have built speakers from loose parts before, and have always been successful. i have more then enough clearance for the slightly larger od rf former.

i think the largest problem is going to be heat transfer between the two formers. but to directly answer your question. no, i am joining one coil to a former there is a quarter inch overlap and that is were the glue joint will be, and i will set the coil in the gap and shim it centered before the glue sets so it will be aligned. then after it dries i will remove it and join the eclipse vc leads to the rf tinsel leads. after that it is just a simple drop in recone that may are may not work. lol

well it is finished here are the rest of the pics and i have a vid loading on photobucket too.

custom8010.jpg

had to make a adapter because the spider's overall diameter was a 1/4 inch shy

custom8011.jpg

custom8012.jpg

custom8013.jpg

custom8014.jpg

custom8017-1.jpg

custom8016.jpg

will post vid as soon as its avail. it is just a freeair so far to check for function. need to build a test box now.