dirtyTHIRTY

I'm looking to buy a box

I have 2 dual 12" Alpine Type R's...I've been told that ported is the way to go for these subs.

There is a problem though. My trunk is small as well as the trunk opening. Right now I have a crappy sealed box 38"W x 10" TD 14" BD x 14" H...it has two old MTX subs in it right now.

It was a pain to get in because the height of my trunk opening is 14" as well and the width is 35".

I've made a few designs in photoshop but I'm not sure if they'd work due to my lack of knowledge in this area:

I'm not sure how many cubic feet will be needed but I'd like the width to be around 30" and the height to be less than 14".

h04412d150sfwn9.jpg

16178912df3.jpg

42655890ye8.jpg

Again...these are just some ideas...not sure if they'd work...I'm sure theres alot of really good designs out there but I just need something that can fit.

We can definitely build something like that for you. What I would need you to do, is take some max dimensions (largest you can fit INTO the trunk opening), and get with my designer, Chris (at) fishercustoms (dot) com.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Just to let you know I drive an 08 Pontiac G5 and my battery is in the back underneath the removable flooring.

Ok I measured and took pics...also edited a design and posted it below...now my opening is kind of roundish so I think a smaller box for both height and width would be best and I would try to make up cubic feet with depth.

So the bottom two designs I made would probably be best unless I have a rectangular box with the subs on top.

If I can get the box to be about 29-30" wide and 13" high I would be able to move it all the way back until it touches the seat which I can't do with my current one. Now if I put the box in thru teh backl seats I could probably get a height of 14-15" BUT the box would have to be 30" wide or less.

That would provide an extra 6-7" of depth (actually the ruler goes back about 8 or 9" but I have to do more measuring to see if it's ok) without losing any trunk space. Right now the box I have has a bottom depth of 14" and a top depth of 10" so I could make the new box 20" or so in bottom depth.

I have no idea what the cubic feet of this new box would be...I'm sure it would still probably be too small.

0901081118amy2.jpg

0901081127cr8.jpg

0901081128dg7.jpg

64018184uv0.jpg

95688716sr5.jpg

13479429er7.jpg

I emailed you back yesterday. Did you not get it?

Chris' internet is down. He sent me a couple designs from a family members house this weekend, and also told me about his computer problems. Im sure you will hear from him shortly.

It went to my spam inbox for some reason. Sorry. I'll just wait for his reply I guess.

Is everything set at a certain price for cubic feet? What I mean is there any extra charge for a design like mine?

Also, Alpine's online manual for Type R's says the most cubic feet an enclosure should be for 1 Type R is 1.75 cubic feet....I have two so that would be 3.5...is that too small though or no?

Edited by dirtTHIRTY

Design will play a factor in the price as well.

I would go a little larger with the R's. 2.25-2.5 per driver seems to be very popular.

Design will play a factor in the price as well.

I would go a little larger with the R's. 2.25-2.5 per driver seems to be very popular.

Wow...I doubt I'll even be able to get a box that size in my trunk.

Dirt,

I was just looking at you diagram. It would scare me to death to have an enclosure built with lengths and widths quoted with " Maybe"

Do you mean "maybe" is the maximum your trunk will allow or is "maybe" meant...Maybe it wont fit?

I know its close as my Sons Lexus is tight too, but if anybody can do it...B.J. can.

When Chris gets back to you, be sure you have done your homework on measuring so that you can be sure you dont have an enclosure sent to you that it 1 inch from fitting in the trunk.

I hope Im not sounding like a jerk, just wanting to help you since I went through the same scenario.

How about just measure your trunk dimensions and let Chris know what they are and he can assist you that way?

If you only tell him the box dimensions, then thats all he has to go on.

You most definitely want this enclosure custom made by FC, because its the only way to get fittament and air space you need. Odds on a store bought generic box either fitting / sounding good are 1000 to one.

:drink40:

Edited by MikeMartin

Ok I think we might have something here.

examplelw9.jpg

Without the slanted front part the box would be 13"H x 24"D x 34" W

Now assuming you use 3/4" MDF the cubic feet would be 4.87. (11.5 x 22.5 x 32.5)

Now the cubic feet of that slant is 0.73 (6 x 12.5 x 34 / 2 / 1728, didnt take out MDF thickness)

4.87 - 0.73 = 4.14...that should be good enough shouldn't it?

Then put the Alpine logo (26" x 3.25") on the front...centered.

Edited by dirtTHIRTY

Ok I think we might have something here.

examplelw9.jpg

Without the slanted front part the box would be 13"H x 24"D x 34" W

Now assuming you use 3/4" MDF the cubic feet would be 4.87. (11.5 x 22.5 x 32.5)

Now the cubic feet of that slant is 0.73 (6 x 12.5 x 34 / 2 / 1728, didnt take out MDF thickness)

4.87 - 0.73 = 4.14...that should be good enough shouldn't it?

Then put the Alpine logo (26" x 3.25") on the front...centered.

Did you subtract the port area and driver displacement when you figured your net volume?

Did you subtract the port area and driver displacement when you figured your net volume?

No :(

Oops, what does that leave you?

I meant port volume, not area.