Sign in to follow this  
rushnrun

OEM intergration... Trying to keep the Stock Gear

Well I recently (2 weeks ago) purchased a Brand New Volkswagen GTI and it just turned 1000miles so it's time to play (I told myself that I'd at least drive it for 1k miles before tearing it apart.)

Anyhow, I'm looking into processors, line level converters, ect.. I'd like to keep the factory deck, It's a in dash 6 disc with aux in and Sirius so I'd like to keep it for now (I've never ran a stock so this will be a new adventure)

What I'm looking to do is just get some better sound.. I'll probably throw a five channel amp in there with a single 10 and leave the stock mids intact for now . Currently the stock setup sounds terrible... I've never heard a factory set sound so bad. Really itching' to get it swapped out... I think it's biggest problem is poor design of the "subwoofer" and mid.. they're in a common chamber in the front door... I'm not even sure what's in there but it just sounds bad

I'm looking into something like a rf sixty or something similar from any-other brand.. audiocontrol ect...

anyone here have something similar that they love/hate.. any pros or cons of each?

This is just going to be my weekend driver, no comps for this car so I'm trying to keep it simple and sounding decent and keeping the trunk (not that it has much to begin with).. It'll be geared towards SQ but like I said I have no intent on competing nor do I plan on any major mods... So any knowledgeable info would be appreciated.

I'm normally an spl guy but for my daily I am a big fan of having time alignment and at least a 30 band eq. the mazda was dual purpose the GTI won't be used for spl at all..

*I will upgrade speakers later... Currently I don't have the budget for new mids_atleast not the caliber that I desire

(I know that contradicts the non-competing but I like my cruising car to sound as good as possible).

sorry for the long unorganized post :)

Edited by rushnrun

and for reference.. the sub stage is my last concern. however I need the unit to be able to provide that signal as well.. I probably won't worry about the woofer until this winter when I have time to tear down the car to do some glassing.

well in the new GTI's it displays the channel and other vairous info, by the speedo (in the instrament cluster-it also displays on the unit.), it's a 6 disc in dash mp3 with aux in, and has sirus, the unit has red led's with blue lighted display.. looks nice while night driving(everything inside the car is red led with blue lighting)... Also I'd like the car to appear 100% stock.. the woofer and amp will be hid away.. so I've got a few reasons...

I think one of the sundown fellas runs an rf sixty in their gti....