Sign in to follow this  
Scuba Steve

Help

Hey, Do any of you guys have any suggestions. I have broken three screws holding down my magnum 15 in one day. I put new ones in but the sub is rattling cause the screws arent keeping it down. What kind of screws should i am using 1 5/8 drywall screws. Suggestions?

Sounds to me you've stripped the wood. Only thing to do now is use larger coarser screws which will inevitably do the same thing, or use T-nuts, which you should've done in the first place. :D

Sounds to me you've stripped the wood.  Only thing to do now is use larger coarser screws which will inevitably do the same thing, or use T-nuts, which you should've done in the first place. :D

x2

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Sounds to me you've stripped the wood.  Only thing to do now is use larger coarser screws which will inevitably do the same thing, or use T-nuts, which you should've done in the first place. :D

only thing to do??

what about rotating the sub a bit to get into fresh wood? :P:P

haha, ok, im done being a jerk now :)

Sounds to me you've stripped the wood.

Assuming you're using MDF for the enclosure, you could try these screws made specifically for Melamine and MDF, much more resistant to pull-outs:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat=20.1.1.1

Or , as suggested, the T-nut:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat=20.16.1

Dry wall screws are handy, but way overused in wood products which they were never designed for.

We build furniture and really like the McFeely's square drive screws over slot and Philips head screws.

:)

Drywall screws are handy, but way overused in wood products which they were never designed for.

Ah, but they were actually designed to be screwed into wood. Wooden studs that is, not compacted sawdust.

Ah, but they were actually designed to be screwed into wood. Wooden studs that is, not compacted sawdust.

Yes that's true. They were designed for a specific purpose, to attach drywall to wood or metal studs. They were never intended however to be used to hold two pieces of wood together. I know of no experienced cabinetmaker who would even consider using drywall screws in their work.

Yes, it can and is used by many in wood projects. But, as you said in regards to t-nuts, why not use what is best for the application.

:)