Sign in to follow this  
pherz1er

DIY 3-way recomendations????

I am planning a new build and I want to run an active 3-way set up.

I'm new to the whole active thing but have been told by more than a few people that building my own 3-way is the way to go.

My available power is

50x2 rms for the tweeters

100x2 rms for the mids

200x2 rms for the midbass

I am at a loss when it comes to choosing raw drivers. Any recomendations?

Also will the fact that my amps are not made by the same manufacturer affect the sound?Or would I have to be superman to hear a difference?

Edited by pherz1er

Or would lossing the 50x2 and running a higher quality 2-way active set be a better bet?

I'm trying to spend under $600 on the speakers if that helps.

Edited by pherz1er

A 3-way is more difficult to set up and tune, not to mention properly process. Meaning, if you want control from the deck, there are only a few that are 3-way active capable. But plenty of people are running 3-way through a 4 channel amplifier and then having the signal out to a 2 channel amplifier and using the crossovers on the amplifiers. As for hearing a difference based on company name on the amplifier, as long as it is not a junker paired up with a super elite level amp, you should be just fine. If you have not done active before, it might be worth starting out with 2 way and getting is set up to your liking first. And if you feel you want more, then move to 3-way. As for raw drivers, $600 can buy you a decent amount. There are plenty of different options, but having a better idea of where you are placing the speakers, what you plan or are aiming for in regards of crossover points, and space you have to work with, would be a good start on the road to finding drivers.

Thanks for the reply. What are the disadvantages of running active off of the amps built in x-overs vs. running them off of an active capable head unit or processor?? I'm probably going to go with a 2-way set up first. I have had a ton of people tell me the same thing you did about the 3-way being hard to tune especially for a beginner. As for placement I can pretty much do anything the kicks, doors, A- pillars etc. I was planning on doing some experimenting with placement once I purchased the new drivers. The space I have to work with is not unlimited but I think I can fit almost anything you can throw at me with a little custom work.

Edited by pherz1er