hayes55987

Portable GPS in cold weather?

hey guys! Got a question about leaving a portable GPS in my car 24/7? I recently got a Garmin Nuvi 255 GPS for use in my car, but living in minnesota, the temperatures can get to be pretty cold. What are your guy's opinions on leaving it in my car overnight even when the temperature can drop down real low? Can I put it in a case or something or is this just a bad idea to do with this type of electronic? Let me know!

Thanks

Condensation or anything like that a concern? Although I don't think so.

Mainly what would be done is I would demount it and then just place it in my glove box. I just want to have it in my car because to me there's no point in having it really if I can't just use it when I want, instead of leaving my house, realizing I want to go somewhere, and then having to drive back to my house to pick it up.

i would recommend against it only cause i got a tom tom last week, used it to drive around dallas for a day, left it in my car in >30 degrees and now it doesnt work...but i don't know if it was the cold, or if i got a lemon or what

If it's LCD, it will be fine, although when you first turn it on after a cold night you may have some dark stripes or lines, or some colors may look faded or too dark, it is simply the cold, once it arms up it will go away.