Sign in to follow this  
rumproast789

Alternator, Completly died today

Well yup, it just died on the way home from school today. I have a 02 Explorer XLT, it is supposedly a 130 amp stock alternator. A couple weeks ago/ month or two ago it had gold coils/ copper color coils. It looked really good like similar to new. Now it looks all faded and completly junked out.

On the way to school, it was cold and i was playing the sub while it was cold. I am pretty sure I blew the sub. It was a cheap little ten but I still need to replace it as it was my brothers. And now the alternator can't charge the battery. I'm not sure if they have anything to do with each other, just adding that info.

I am trying to convince my parents to let me get a high out put alternator for my sub that I will be getting in. Can you guys give me some prices for replacement alternators, and some good/ correctly rated high out put alternators?

I might say like, you pay for the cost it would be for just a replacement, and I'll pay the difference? I read that it was INSANELY easy and fast to replace an alternator, so I can do the install myself I'm sure.

This kinda sucks, I was looking up on alternators last night, and it just died today....

18" Fi BTL fully loaded. 2k-3k watts depending on the amp.

A lot of people told me to upgrade, some people told me I'd be fine with my 130 amp alt.

If the 130 amp alt would be fine let me know. I'll have probably 2 batteries in the back. I have 3 and planned on putting one under the hood, but none of them fit exactly.

if you go 3k id upgrade to a 180a+. check the local autoparts store get a price on a factory replacement then look into the top ho alt companys you might be able to get a higher output alt than the stock for close to the same cost.

I was thinking in the range of 200 amp alt/ 220 amp alt depending on what my parents are going to say lol. for a H.O. Alt, I know I've seen like mechman alternators, iraggi, ohio alternator or something like that, and a few other good ones. What would any of you guys reccomend? I'll google the prices if you just give me some names/ links.

I was looking at DB electrical alternators, but wow. You are my best friend now :)

I'll throw these to my parents, it's most likely going to be the 180/ 220

I don't think I need 240, I know the more amps at full out put the less at idle, right?

Should that be good enough to power my system? I might end up upgrading door speakers as well, but i would say so..

and by the way, you guessed the right engine. 4.0 L sohc, good stuff man.

Edited by rumproast789

Alright, this is for anyone who cares.

My parents didn't trust me installing the alternator myself, so I decided to call up on some shops for prices. A Shop up the street was going to charge 340$ installed for a replacement 130 amp alt. I called Bill's suburban Alternator and they could get me a 200 amp alt ( i think rebuilded or something) for 240$ installed. So 100$ bucks difference for a better alt? That's where I went.