toolskizm

sub advice for 09 chevrolet

I just had my highs and mids installed in the truck and now need a little low end. After getting my first pair of Q's from Fi, I'm a dedicated customer. BTW, they are still going strong, now in my cousin's Explorer.

Anyway, my current setup is as follows:

2 Focal 165 KF

2 Focal 165CVX

JL 450/4

I'm looking to get something that I can hide under the back seat. Here's what I was thinking:

1 10" SSD

RF T500-1bd

in this pre-fabbed box

CRB07-110/112

LINK: http://www.subthump.com/crb07.htm

it's the one at the bottom of the page

One concern, magnets must be no more than 6.25" in diameter...will that be an issue with the SSD?

I'm a firm believer in building my own boxes, but when it comes to something like this I'm not necessarily going for the loudest on the planet. For the price, I don't even see a point in getting the wood tools out. Now, I see the specs on the box aren't exact to that of the SSD. I'm sure it would still work, but I'd like you guy's opinion. Any other box recommendations? Also, the amp is a significant amount less than the SSD RMS but do you think it will move the sub? From what I understand those amps are underrated. If not, suggestions on another amp around the same Ebay price would be much appreciated.

Anyway any input on the setup would be great.

Edited by toolskizm

I am confused, are you not wanting to build or prefer going with a prefab that is close? Also, what is your budget for your amplifier? There are a few on the SSA shop that would be plenty of power for the SSD 10. :)

if you're good with building boxes you can do that box for cheaper man. also you would have greater satisfaction when you build something with your own hands. also you could build it to your own liking and not have to just go with it.

My amp budget is around $300. Any suggestions denim? I'm not familiar with the amps on the SSA shop. Sundown is about all I know, but I'm not sure I need 1000 watts. And the box deal, it would be .81 cu ft. sealed. when the SSD is recommended for .6 max. I'm not sure how much that would effect the sound. Main reason for going with the prefab is time...I don't necessarily have alot of it. But, if it significantly effects the sound of the sub, I'd rather find the time and build my own to the Fi specs. To stay in the specs and not have to build a box, I thought about maybe just a single SSD 12. But I've personally never heard a single 12 sealed setup...

i had a single 12" ssd sealed in 1 cubic ft. and it sounds great. plays movie fine, not great, but fine. and for music it sounds very good.

but if you do still want to go with the prefabbed box because of time constrains then you could add some wood to brace the inside of the box but also to take some of the usable volume out. however, i don't think .2 cubes is that much and you probably have less than that if you didn't count the sub's volume.

running the ssd on 500 watts is fine if you're into SQ. I had 600 watts on the SSD in my home theater.

but if you were still going to keep that amp, i see on this thread that a lot are saying your amp is putting out around 1000 watts. http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/394040.html

i don't know how true that is but if it is then thats 1000 watts at 14.4 volts and so you're probably seeing around 800 watts. just in the alley of the SSD. :)

Edited by phi

Thanks for the input phi. I think I may go that route. That actually is the volume minus the sub displacement. And yes, I'm going for SQ...as I said, just want the low ends in the truck, the 6.5's just dont get low enough. I didn't even think about the bracing in the box...unnecessary really, but would def take away some of the volume if it sounds bad. Think I'll go with that amp too :) I just wanted a lil budget focused system this time...can't go all out and there's other things I want to do to the truck. Thanks again for the input. I'll keep you guys posted once I get it all together.

After reading a review on the SSD, I ended up gettin a SAZ-1000D from the SSA Shop. So there you go denim lol. I've heard nothing but good things about Sundown, so I'm excited to see how it works. Also, went with 10" SSD with BP and Copper Coil. Everything should be in in like a week or something. Can't wait to hear it!

Well, I got everything in. The sub looks great and everything is working. It's looking like I'm going to have to modify the box though. The SSD is 6.0" mounting depth. This box shows a max of 6.5". Now, whether or not they're giving a little room from the bottom of the magnet to the bottom of the box, I'm not sure yet. But I'd like to know, what is the closest the bottom of the magnet can be to the bottom of the box? Is .25" too little? I've just never had this problem before...

Any info? I'd like to mod the box tomorrow if need be.