Sign in to follow this  

i'm installing an indash into an old explorer. heres the problem.....

we wired everything up right, used the same wiring harness that was in the truck. no fuses blown or anything.

indash turns on.... but we got no sound. took off the indash harness and tried battery poppin speakers... still no sound. tried hard wiring it so the truck harness and still no sound....

my guess is that the truck harness is bad and that we need to hard wire all the speakers....

Does the truck have a "premium" sound system? Like a Mach system? Or Bose? If so they have onboard amps that need to be bypassed.

my guess is yes. it has a fuse for premium amplifier but i haven't a clue where it is.

we thought i might have been the truck wiring harness so i tried just hard wiring it.... but still no luck..

so that was my guess that there is an amp somewhere.... but no clue where

A few years ago when I installed for a living, I remember having to replace a 5 amp fuse under the hood when doing radios in some Fords.... primarily Taurus's. You may want to check there if it is a premium sound setup.

the amp for the premium sound should be behind your passenger side rear interior panel, its a real bitch pulling it back, and you gotta kinda feel for it, well at least i had to, i have small hands and that helped, but any way i needed a special bypass cable to link the 2 ends together without the amp. hope this helps.

Edited by rayodin

This is the whole reason I didn't install my GF's new radio, is because she has the Mach 460 System in her Mustang GT. And it's more work then I want.