yeddy2201

What's the best way to tune an Amp...

I have 1 15 BTL Fully loaded, i was playing it today and it started smoking then went out. I have it on a Orion Hcca 5000, the gain was not up it was below half way, i wasn't playing it for a long time, i don't know what could be the problem. I have heard that Orion amps are hard to tune, i dont kno what the HPF ,and the LPF is suppose to be set to could someone help me.

Umm..tune the amp?...u mean simply set it..first of all check if everything's working.then set everything flat no eq's no bass boost and gain down low.the only reason you got smoked is probably bad wiring( got ya coils mixed up) , clipping the amp or maybe amp failure(dnt think so). you're using a sub so you want to set the switch to low pass and you can control the cutoff freq from the low pass knob ,you can set that to around 100 hz or so.you also want to set your gains providing the coil isnt locked up......

Edited by mecalli

No need to repeat the post from your last post.

But since we are here, gain up halfway up does NOT mean anything since we do not know what the halfway setting is and do not know how much voltage your headunit puts out. And it darn sure does not mean the amp could only play at half output. The gain is to match input voltage with your headunit.

If the gain is set at 1 volt, then the amp will make max power with 1 volt on input.

If the gain is set at 10 volts, then the amp will make max power with 10 volts on the input.

You either have to have a good ear for setting gain, or measurement equipment.

The only way you can use it to limit output is to know your headunit's max output and set it at a voltage above that.

As far as other settings, per your box design, the HPF should be around 28-30 Hz. Higher if it looks like the sub is being mechanically challenged :)

LPF is set to what you think sounds good. Normally somewhere below 100 Hz

Intelli-Q to minimum.

Good luck!

Umm..tune the amp?...u mean simply set it..first of all check if everything's working.then set everything flat no eq's no bass boost and gain down low.the only reason you got smoked is probably bad wiring( got ya coils mixed up) , clipping the amp or maybe amp failure(dnt think so). you're using a sub so you want to set the switch to low pass and you can control the cutoff freq from the low pass knob ,you can set that to around 100 hz or so.you also want to set your gains providing the coil isnt locked up......

Thanks that helps me a lot... now someone told me that i should set my LHP around the same Hz as my box. What would that do?

No need to repeat the post from your last post.

But since we are here, gain up halfway up does NOT mean anything since we do not know what the halfway setting is and do not know how much voltage your headunit puts out. And it darn sure does not mean the amp could only play at half output. The gain is to match input voltage with your headunit.

If the gain is set at 1 volt, then the amp will make max power with 1 volt on input.

If the gain is set at 10 volts, then the amp will make max power with 10 volts on the input.

You either have to have a good ear for setting gain, or measurement equipment.

The only way you can use it to limit output is to know your headunit's max output and set it at a voltage above that.

As far as other settings, per your box design, the HPF should be around 28-30 Hz. Higher if it looks like the sub is being mechanically challenged :)

LPF is set to what you think sounds good. Normally somewhere below 100 Hz

Intelli-Q to minimum.

Good luck!

Now after i set my gains, set my eq, and just leave my bass boost alone or what...

bass boost should always be on 0 no need for it, plenty of signal power should be able to come from your deck to let the amp reach full power

bass boost should always be on 0 no need for it, plenty of signal power should be able to come from your deck to let the amp reach full power

ok thanks

Thanks that helps me a lot... now someone told me that i should set my LHP around the same Hz as my box. What would that do?

nope they were probably talking about your ssf (subsonic filter- this ensures that you dont kill ur sub with freq below port tuning) like he said set your lpf..low pass filter to somewhere blow 100hz i set mine around 100 since you your sub to play bass in its range a sub's normally 20 - 100 , its all preference set it to where your music's enjoyable..btw ..do you knw how to set ur gains ??

Please follow a gain setting tutorial as you are not ready to use your ears.

Also, it isn't tuning this is rudimentary setup 101. It MUST be done right or you will smoke your shit.

If you had even tried a search, you would have found your answers. Please try MUCH harder next time.

Bass Boost is retarded. I personally have an issue with it even being on an amplifier and will celebrate and promote a sub amp that doesn't have it as an option. It does nothing positive and a ton of negative.

nope they were probably talking about your ssf (subsonic filter- this ensures that you dont kill ur sub with freq below port tuning) like he said set your lpf..low pass filter to somewhere blow 100hz i set mine around 100 since you your sub to play bass in its range a sub's normally 20 - 100 , its all preference set it to where your music's enjoyable..btw ..do you knw how to set ur gains ??

Yea ive been reading a lot of different things about the gains, but what do u say about it, and some people been tellin me that the HPF Should be set as low as it go which is around 20Hz because that puts words playin through the sub, but some people on here say to set it around 28 - 30 Hz. What could u tell me about that.

Please follow a gain setting tutorial as you are not ready to use your ears.

Also, it isn't tuning this is rudimentary setup 101. It MUST be done right or you will smoke your chit.

If you had even tried a search, you would have found your answers. Please try MUCH harder next time.

Bass Boost is retarded. I personally have an issue with it even being on an amplifier and will celebrate and promote a sub amp that doesn't have it as an option. It does nothing positive and a ton of negative.

Ok but the bass boost wasnt on the amp it was on the deck

Then I will repeat in a slightly different way. I have an issue with bass boost existing and it should NEVER be used. EQ work should always be done in cuts, not boosts.

Yea ive been reading a lot of different things about the gains, but what do u say about it, and some people been tellin me that the HPF Should be set as low as it go which is around 20Hz because that puts words playin through the sub, but some people on here say to set it around 28 - 30 Hz. What could u tell me about that.

Those people don't know their highpass from their lowpass. your subsonic filter is a highpass, then there is a separate lowpass crossover on the amp. if you have that lowpass off or set too high (higher than a few hundred hz), then you'll hear voices through the sub. The subsonic should be set to 25-30 hz. Nobody I know can sing at 25 hz, ha.

Those people don't know their highpass from their lowpass. your subsonic filter is a highpass, then there is a separate lowpass crossover on the amp. if you have that lowpass off or set too high (higher than a few hundred hz), then you'll hear voices through the sub. The subsonic should be set to 25-30 hz. Nobody I know can sing at 25 hz, ha.

The Mongols have throat singers that actually can sing in the 20-25Hz range. A few other cultures have developed similar techniques, but it is not an easy thing to train ones voice to be able to reproduce those notes. It would tear your voicebox up if you knew how. :)

Then I will repeat in a slightly different way. I have an issue with bass boost existing and it should NEVER be used. EQ work should always be done in cuts, not boosts.

Fa Sho i got u

my amp has a infra sonic on and off switch its on

infrasonic is the same thing as subsonic. So you'll want to set it to 25 hz or so.

infrasonic is the same thing as subsonic. So you'll want to set it to 25 hz or so.

it doesnt have anything thing 2 set unless ur talkin about the HPF on side of it

It may default to some frequency the manufacturer determined. That should be rather prevalent in your manual.

It may default to some frequency the manufacturer determined. That should be rather prevalent in your manual.

The Manual says Selectable On/Off

24dB/Octave

-6dB at 20Hz

24dB/Octave

-6dB at 20Hz

By switching it on then, it is pretty close to "setting it at 25hz" ;)

24dB/Octave

-6dB at 20Hz

By switching it on then, it is pretty close to "setting it at 25hz" ;)

ok thanks