jgs07

Correct measurements for a bl 12"

ive had my bl 12"( just one) for about a week and its broken in but it doesnt get as loud as i want it too. so im thinkin i may have messed up on the box. can anyone take a look to c if i messed up on the box?

dimension:

14.00" h

14.50" D

35.00" W

Total inside volume BEFORE sub & port displacement = 3.15 cuft

Port dimensions = 3" X 12.5" x 36 (L PORT)

Port volume = 0.95 cuft

Sub displacemnt = 0.15

0.95 + 0.15 = 1.1 cuft.

2.0 + 1.1 cuft = 3.1

I calculate it to be at ~ 2.06 @ 34hz.

Is the box 3.1 cubes? I would think that would be a little big for a 12..

thats before displacement after displacement is 2.05

whats not loud about it?

lows, highs?

whats not loud about it?

lows, highs?

everything overall. i previously had 2 12" kicker cvrs and they get louder than the bl, both lows and highs. so im thinkin the i may have messed up on the box.im thinkin the L maybe too long(backside;meaning the part within the box) and it maybe choking the sub.

if you could could you post what your amp is set at and all your settings. my bl has no problem getting loud with a 34 hz tune.

if you could could you post what your amp is set at and all your settings. my bl has no problem getting loud with a 34 hz tune.

ssf:35hz

low pass: 120 hz

bass eq:0

phase:0

gain set correctly.

amp:bxi 1606d

by correctly on the gain you mean set to what your rca outputs on your headunit are right?

i guess just try messing with some settings to get what you want. i would move the ssf down to around 30 it cant hurt much.

also move the low pass filter to around 80-85, ive always noticed a gain in volume when keeping the low pass filter as low as it could go without losing frequencies.

by correctly on the gain you mean set to what your rca outputs on your headunit are right?

i guess just try messing with some settings to get what you want. i would move the ssf down to around 30 it cant hurt much.

also move the low pass filter to around 80-85, ive always noticed a gain in volume when keeping the low pass filter as low as it could go without losing frequencies.

yeah i set the gain with a dmm. so from what u see there is nothing wrong with the box?

shouldnt be....

its close to what mine is and mine hits hard as hell

shouldnt be....

its close to what mine is and mine hits hard as hell

how high do u have the volume at?

I notice on certain songs at the same volume the bl is just not as loud as my old cvr's(2 12's) (400 rms each). With my cvrs i didnt have to turn up the volume that much before it started to get loud. For example take the song young jeezy-I AM A do me, with my cvr's when i put the volume at 15 it gets pretty loud to where the rearview moves out of place. On the bl i put the volume at 20 and it just doesnt get as loud as the cvrs and doesnt even move the rearview out of place. The bl should be louder or just as loud as my old cvr's right? I know this sounds kinda weird, eventhough the bl is an spl sub it kinda sounds like an sq sub in the box.

anton, how long did it take for your sub to break in?

it took about a week but i didnt notice it. it was a gradual thing.

whats the settings on the head unit? also is it a new amp with the bl? or the same with the cvr's?

may have to turn some things on the head unit up.

2x the cone area = what? it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that 2 12's have the potential to get louder than a single 12, no matter how badass it may be. i've owned a few 12" bl's and ran em on a 1606d, sundown 15000d, and 3000d, and they were all very nice setups for a daily driver. i think you're expecting miracles from a sub...and that will not happen. yes, the bl's are wonderful and very nice drivers, but most likely they will not win in overall output against twice the cone area, no matter how "great" those subs are.

2 cubes at 34hz should be nice for daily driving, but you may want to try a box that's say 2.5ish at 31-32hz if you feel the other one isn't working.

it took about a week but i didnt notice it. it was a gradual thing.

whats the settings on the head unit? also is it a new amp with the bl? or the same with the cvr's?

may have to turn some things on the head unit up.

same amp as the cvrs.

head unit:alpine cda 9884

settings: sub level (10/15)

bass level (2/7)

treble (4/7)

hpf:120

2x the cone area = what? it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that 2 12's have the potential to get louder than a single 12, no matter how badass it may be. i've owned a few 12" bl's and ran em on a 1606d, sundown 15000d, and 3000d, and they were all very nice setups for a daily driver. i think you're expecting miracles from a sub...and that will not happen. yes, the bl's are wonderful and very nice drivers, but most likely they will not win in overall output against twice the cone area, no matter how "great" those subs are.

2 cubes at 34hz should be nice for daily driving, but you may want to try a box that's say 2.5ish at 31-32hz if you feel the other one isn't working.

i understand that but im still not satisfied with how loud it is for the amount of power im putting on it. have u seen anton millers vids? my bl is nowhere near that.

First off its hard to tell ow"loud" somthing is from watching a video. you can get a reletive feel for how loud it is but you still really dont know. just because your car or truck doesnt flex as much as mine doesnt mean its less loud. it may just mean your car is put together better than mine. for example my cousins car that i put my old mtx 5500 in with a 200 rms amp on it flexed her mirror alot more than it flexed my mirror and her trunk moves alot more than i expected because my trunk didnt move with that sub.

but i still think you should bring that HPF down to around 80. im not saying you did any thing wrong but you should check to see if your wired to a different ohm than you think you are. its possible that your cvr's were wired to get more overall wattage outta the amp than your Bl is. but i dont know that.

But from what it sounds like it should be hitting just fine. could you do a vid of the sub moving, as a comparison between what mine moves at and what yours moves at. try "put on" or some thing like that.