Sign in to follow this  
w00tah

LI owners chime in

My question is aimed at LI owners, particularly the 10 and 12's. What kind of amplification have you/are you using, and what kind of box and volume? Do you think a single LI would be enough to match up with a decent front stage in a Mustang Convertible? What kind of power minimum can I look into using for it?

Currently the system in it is an Alpine 7894 w/ AI-Net AUX in for the Ipod, Powerbass Chrome 5x7's up front, stock rears, both powered by the built in amp on the Alpine, and then an MTX RT2200 on an RF Punch HE10. I'll admit, for being what it is (and the money that's in it currently), I can't complain, but the low end lacks BADLY. The box is a big reason (4th order Orion Cobalt bandpass from a few years back, and that's what the HE was in when I got it), and the fact that the sub is single 8 ohm doesn't help either. I was thinking about buying a new amp for the new sub (whatever it ends up being) and running the RT2200 on the fronts (about 60 watts per side). Sound like an alright idea?

Thanks for the help and any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Kef

Before you go and buy anymore equipment, I'd rebuild your current box to a simple ported enclosure.

A single 12" LI on 600 watts RMS in a simple ported box will keep up with most front stages....even really good ones

Before you go and buy anymore equipment, I'd rebuild your current box to a simple ported enclosure.

Ok, now normally, I would agree with you about this, but notice that my sub is single 8 ohm. It's not giving it enough power. The ONLY way I could make it any louder is to provide more power, which at this point in time is not going to happen. That bandpass it's in is very, VERY peaky (far more than a standard ported enclosure would be) in the 40-60hz range, but for as low power as I have to offer, it's exactly what I would want, to get as much output as possible out of the power I have available. The thing is, it's not enough now that the fronts are again working (I put the PB's in because the factory 5x7's were not working, and a convertible with only rear speakers is an exercise in futility). It's working as hard as it can, and it's not keeping up, per se. The only way I can get a reasonable amount of bass out of it is to use bass boost, and I do not want to use that and create clipping and kill it. I'm underpowering the sub by about 100 watts RMS and I'd rather keep the little amount I have currently versus having nothing below 100 hz.

Hopefully you can see my point in asking about the LI. I do appreciate your suggestion though. I'm sure the ported enclosure would sound a hell of a lot better than the bandpass does. It's just, short of tuning it high, it's not going to offer any extra output. Outside of the passband of the bandpass, particularly below 40 hz, it'd be a lot louder, I'm sure, but otherwise, I don't think it would be any louder, at least to ear.

Kef

Ok, now normally, I would agree with you about this, but notice that my sub is single 8 ohm. It's not giving it enough power. The ONLY way I could make it any louder is to provide more power, which at this point in time is not going to happen. That bandpass it's in is very, VERY peaky (far more than a standard ported enclosure would be) in the 40-60hz range, but for as low power as I have to offer, it's exactly what I would want, to get as much output as possible out of the power I have available. The thing is, it's not enough now that the fronts are again working (I put the PB's in because the factory 5x7's were not working, and a convertible with only rear speakers is an exercise in futility). It's working as hard as it can, and it's not keeping up, per se. The only way I can get a reasonable amount of bass out of it is to use bass boost, and I do not want to use that and create clipping and kill it. I'm underpowering the sub by about 100 watts RMS and I'd rather keep the little amount I have currently versus having nothing below 100 hz.

Hopefully you can see my point in asking about the LI. I do appreciate your suggestion though. I'm sure the ported enclosure would sound a hell of a lot better than the bandpass does. It's just, short of tuning it high, it's not going to offer any extra output. Outside of the passband of the bandpass, particularly below 40 hz, it'd be a lot louder, I'm sure, but otherwise, I don't think it would be any louder, at least to ear.

Kef

There was a guy who took al sorts of records with a little over 150w and 4 8" woofers. So your argument that you don't have enough power is irrelevant. Your box is the first problem you should work to overcome. Then start upgrading your gear from there.

Kef

There was a guy who took al sorts of records with a little over 150w and 4 8" woofers. So your argument that you don't have enough power is irrelevant. Your box is the first problem you should work to overcome. Then start upgrading your gear from there.

Wow, so you are saying, that by underpowering my sub in the wrong enclosure, it wouldn't get as loud as if it were in a ported enclosure (made to RF specs) off the same underpowering?

I like your logic.

Besides, the Punch HE's are not that great of a sub to begin with. I got it in trade for a JL 12w0 that had a partially fixed tinsel lead that gave way the day after I traded it. The guy put close to 600 watts on a w0 at 4 ohm. The RF is still going, and I've had it almost a year now.

Kef

Edited by w00tah

okay lets just say the lethal injection is a powerhouse, give it a little more than 600rms and port the bish to 32hz, you will be set. i have mines in a fisher customs 2.5 @ 32hz, and i need my comps turned up pretty high to blend in, yes the bass can overpower them, and i have DLS (aint cheap).

then again i have a hatchback so you really feel it in the penor.

okay lets just say the lethal injection is a powerhouse, give it a little more than 600rms and port the bish to 32hz, you will be set. i have mines in a fisher customs 2.5 @ 32hz, and i need my comps turned up pretty high to blend in, yes the bass can overpower them, and i have DLS (aint cheap).

then again i have a hatchback so you really feel it in the penor.

:lolup:

That's priceless.

Kef

Its true though, makes me happy in pants!! But eventually I plan on getting the Flatlyne because with me running active in the near future, I want the ultimate LOUD SOUND QUALITY setup.

i had my LI in 2.25 @ 32hz off ~350-400wrms....and it got very loud in my blazer.

not sure what that would be like in a 'vert , but they are very nice woofers for the price.

i had my LI in 2.25 @ 32hz off ~350-400wrms....and it got very loud in my blazer.

not sure what that would be like in a 'vert , but they are very nice woofers for the price.

See, that's the kind of response I wanted.

Kef

werd, sqhertz is the prime example that with a little power, the lethal injection can still outperform with lower rms power

I have a line on an IA 187 12 from someone on CA. I MIGHT pick it up if my finances are okay at the end of the week.

I'm kinda anxious to see if I can buy it, as it would be nice to have IA in both cars :)

Kef