felickz

Midbass setup

Here is an idea i am throwing around for my 99 neon...

5.25 component set up front for the hi/hi-mids

have 6x9 holes in the rear deck, but will enlarge them slightly to encompass 8"(7.25 cutout) midbass drivers 50-200 hz response..

then have 2 12's in aported box in the trunk

Is this a sound design to put the midbass on the rear deck?? I have read numerous things about running mono for the rears/keep away from highs back there cuz it moves the center image backwards types of things...

Also is this going to be terrible placement for the "free air" midbass speakers on the rear deck having their back wave interfering with the sub output... (really the rear deck is the only place i have room to put them, unless i goto 6.5 " midbass drivers)

i have blown 2 pair of rear speakers just running off headunit amp, i suspect the subs push the rear drivers out when they want to push back and forth and cause the rear speakers to die very quickly do to the resistance... is this a common problem???

sorry im full of questions... I have played round with my car audio setup for a few years now, but i want to get serious about the sound... any suggestions???

from what ive inquired from my research, it would pull your soundstage BACKward toward the middle of the car (imagine where the soundwaves meet eachother - like two waterhoses spraying at eachother and you in the middle)

when your at a rock concert, do you want the bass\drums from behind you and the guitar\vocal\symbols in front? or a rap concert where the DJ is mixing (with his speakers) behind you, and the rapper is in front with his speakers?

i dont think so - its most certainly possible and will produce the frequencies you ar elooking for... but i dont think it will go along ANY lines that of real sound qulaity.

and yes, the subs can seriously cause posative pressure in the boot of your car - specially if the seats are up. ever see the videos of kids TRUNKS and DOORS flexing open? imagine a speaker being pushed like that while the coil keeps warming up from the electricall energy->heat that cant be cooled off by the movement of the cone. you would want to construct some kind of sealed box (at least i would)

BUT YOU CAN do this. how good will it sound? i dont know. ive never done it.

if i were you, id try to get them in the doors and put the components in the kick panels.

Speaker Works Regal.. 10" midbass drivers in the rear side panels. ;)

even with the back speakers having a freq response only upto 500 hz and adjustable time correction... i thought maybee that staging would be a minimal issue.... Also i know how bass is considered omnidirectional.. but up to what freq is that valid for... is midbass still in that catagory or when can u begin to tell where it is comming from