Okay so im asking this question for a friend of mine. He just recently bought a hu from a local shop and they do free instal with the purchase...well they said that his car has a factory amp and that they will have to by pass it by running all new wires which will cost $120. I am still learning but this just doesnt seem right. I mean why would you want to bypass a amplifier? The shop said that running the amp would equal less output to the speakers but bypassing it would make it louder. I just dont quite understand the logic so if someone could explain it would be great.

thanks

What vehicle is it in?

What make and model is the car ??

^^^^Tirefryr beat me too it^^^^^

Edited by sqjeep

I am guessing they are planning on bypassing the factory amp, and putting an aftermarket amp in it's place.

Or maybe the headunit is better than the factory amp.

I don't recall Buick using any outboard amp, but I can't place the dash. Some GM vehicles were like this due to dash clearance, or lack-there-of. Usually the amp is mounted right under the dash and it's as simple as running some extra wiring a couple feet and splicing into the output, so for a shop, they'll mark up the cable and rape you on labor (probably $40-50/hr.), and you have your $120.

He's better off buying his own amp and running that, but I do agree with them on bypassing the factory unit.