Sign in to follow this  
explosivesound

Help building Sub wall

Ive made my own ported boxes in the past but nothing more than a rectangular ported box with f-glass. I dont want to pay a shop to make my box, I want to build it myself. Its a 2000 grand am. Back seat obviouslly removed. I dont really understand how to do the edges and different angles. to take up ALL the space. Or do I forget angles and just do what I can. I was going to do it all in fiberglass but that is probably a stupid idea and a stupid amount of work. The only other problem is how to calculate volume with so many different angles and how to exactly calculate how to measure the bracing and port volume. If anyone has a site to direct me to that deals with Wall setupts that would be great. I want to have pride in this job knowing I did it (Not to mention the price savings!) Any help appreciated!

Build the box like a regular ported box , and then use fiberglass and make panels.

if you can achive the right amount of airspace that way if not you will have fun making calculations and what not lol

I need 20 cubes from the grand am! The box will extend into the trunk. Can I mix MDF and F-glass? What I mean is have the baffle doubled up MDF and all the flat spots MDF but fill in all the space in between wth f-glass. If I can do that then how in the world do I calculate air space with all the rounded and molded edges?

I just got done with all my measurements and with just using Mdf I have a volume of 23.44 cubes (Mdf included in measurements) so after bracing, subs, and port I should be real close to 20 cubes net volume when all is said and done so I think I will scrap any fiberglassing plans. That should cut my cost and time down ALOT! That box allows just enough room for batteries and amps cramped in the very back. I cant wait to start the build thread but it will be when my wife and I get back from Vegas! which will be the 18th.