Sign in to follow this  
rickandleli

xcon 18 box

I have read the thread on the box specs, saying aim for 7 cubes and 100 inches of port area for each XCON 18. I have also watched the vid from the FIRE IT UP show and doubt that box is anywhere near those specs. I have 99 dodge durango, (not the most space in the world) and trying to get the most from it. I am new to box building, tired of shelling out high dollars for someone to build me and my friends a basic box. I can get the 7 cubes a piece, but not too sure about the port area thing. with my space it will be hard to get 200 sq inches. Some box calculators dont even show port area, just tuning frequency. I want to tune about 31 hz. How important is the high port area?

You could probly get away with sheding a few inches, but you're going to want to keep them up there.

If you cannot reach or be with-in reason of the suggested box sizes, it would be better to go with sealed or move to an Xcon 15". It is usually better to go with a smaller size driver in the proper size enclosure then choke the larger driver.

If you cannot reach or be with-in reason of the suggested box sizes, it would be better to go with sealed or move to an Xcon 15". It is usually better to go with a smaller size driver in the proper size enclosure then choke the larger driver.

i have the airspace, just wondering about the port area issue. i only have 44.5" available width for my box, and the 2 subs are going to take up at least 38" of that. after panel width of .75 that is only leaving me with around 5" port width, equaling around 150 inches of port area for 2 18's. i am going to tune it using the port length calculator on the12volt.com, but need to know about the "PORT AREA" which i have never dealt with before.

maybe if your building your box tall or deep enough you can sit the subs on top of the box and do a crx style box with the port at the back of the box on the bottom. just a suggestion

So in what ballpark were the specs on the "FIRE IT UP" box? I have noticed that most street guys seem to have their port facing the back hatch and speakers on top of the box. I was wondering if it makes a lot of difference on where the port is located in relation to the subs? was thinking about jay-cee's suggestion, but my box will almost to the roof tall, and i really want to have the speakers facing the front, and was thinking about having the port facing the back on the bottom. How do you think that would work out?

For daily driving in larger vehicles such as SUV's, I prefer port back/sub back. You may get a little more output and slightly higher score with port back sub up, or another combination.

For daily driving in larger vehicles such as SUV's, I prefer port back/sub back. You may get a little more output and slightly higher score with port back sub up, or another combination.

might have to just wall it. Only had one experience with a wall though in suburban, but never really got to spend much time with it in the daily driver scenario, just comps. How does the response compare in a street vehicle with a wall as compared to sub back/port back with little room around the sides and top of the box?