Sign in to follow this  
87regal

port length

I am going to be building a new box for my 15 inch q because my current one is a little too big. The dimensions I am working with are 14high, 32 long, 20 inches deep. I am having a hard time understanding what size slot port would it take for this box to be tuned to 33hz. Since I will be going with sub up+port up, the port can be either 30.5 or 18.5 inches long(depending on if make it long ways , or short ways) but how wide, and long should it be? (would like to face them back but they will be too close to the back of the trunk....I can also face them forward). Also, current box is 14x32x24 tuned to 33hz....will I see a huge decrease in output with this smaller box?

I am going to be building a new box for my 15 inch q because my current one is a little too big. The dimensions I am working with are 14high, 32 long, 20 inches deep. I am having a hard time understanding what size slot port would it take for this box to be tuned to 33hz. Since I will be going with sub up+port up, the port can be either 30.5 or 18.5 inches long(depending on if make it long ways , or short ways) but how wide, and long should it be? (would like to face them back but they will be too close to the back of the trunk....I can also face them forward). Also, current box is 14x32x24 tuned to 33hz....will I see a huge decrease in output with this smaller box?

Your saying "them", do you have two 15's?

single 15....I was meaning the sub+port, sorry should have made that more clear.

single 15....I was meaning the sub+port, sorry should have made that more clear.

You really should have more airspace. Your sitting at 3.89 cubes WITHOUT port displacement.

Current box sounds about right. Are you saying to is "too big" for the car, or you think it is "too big" for the sub?

If you want the smaller box, I would use a pair of 4" aero ports x 15" long.

Current box sounds about right. Are you saying to is "too big" for the car, or you think it is "too big" for the sub?

If you want the smaller box, I would use a pair of 4" aero ports x 15" long.

too big for the car. i miscalculated when i designed it. I can BARELY fit it in there right now(6 batts and 2 hydraulic pumps in the way). So using aero ports opposed to a slot port would make it a smaller box overall?

Yes. Don't need as much port area with aero's. And then less port area = shorter ports, so overall a nice savings on port displacement.

3.5 ft^3 tuned to 33 Hz with (2) 4" aeros cut to 16" long should work.

Not sure how much difference you will hear. depends on the type of music you listen too and maybe the resonant freq of the vehicle.

Yes. Don't need as much port area with aero's. And then less port area = shorter ports, so overall a nice savings on port displacement.

3.5 ft^3 tuned to 33 Hz with (2) 4" aeros cut to 16" long should work.

Not sure how much difference you will hear. depends on the type of music you listen too and maybe the resonant freq of the vehicle.

thanks for the help. how are you calculating those port lengths? I used the calculator on precision ports site and it said they should be 11 inches long.

Sign in to follow this