Sign in to follow this  
HCCAfan

Why do you compete?

Why do you compete?

Since I opened, I will let you all know why I compete. I compete to have fun and to represent. One of the main reasons why I compete is because of the gear I run. Back when i started, it was about fun and there were plenty of Orion competitors, now there is a few of us, and I doubt that none are as serious as I with the Orion equipment. That would be the main reason, to bring back the Orion name to the competition arena, make them the proud people they used to be. Many of you might not remember Orion back in the days when Wayne Harris used to work for them, or when you could see atleast 40 cars at finals with their equipment. Not only am I bringing Orion back to the top with every show, I bring every person that has helped me along the way, such as Iraggi Alternators, Second Skin, and Audio Control. This is why i strive for success, to bring my favorite brands back to the pedastol they used to be on. The fun at the competition is just an added bonus, but its very nice to hear from someone i havent met about how they seen my ride or the vids i take, and the compliments that come with it. Another reason why i compete is to teach others. in 2002 i heard all kinds of crap about how we have to use big dollar equipment to put up the numbers, so i built a 650 dollar system that consisted of 8 JBL 12's and one JBL 1200d that would pull 158's on the a/c at 40 hertz without sealing the wall off. Remember guys, that anything that doesnt kill us makes us stronger and life is a lesson :)

wow Shane, great topic and excellent post,

I agree with you on all accounts. On my personal POV, I compete (or should I say am returning to competition after a long layoff) because of the excitement that I get from it. I am not one to really care about showing off, my personal philosophy on everything that has to do with automobiles is all GO and no (or not much) show. Basically the anti-rice, and I just want to walk softly and carry a big stick (Roosevelt). My daily driver system, out sde of one or two installs, have been 75% SQ, but there is that awe and exceitment about SPL to me. The sudden BLAM that can bend metal, break windshields, and shake the crap out of something is a cool feeling. Honestly I had lost the drive to compete myself, for about 4 1/2 years until I drove down to Glen burnie for a dbdrag comp to meet up with fellow SSA and CAR members Wizeguy and dbdraggin. I mean it was nothing different from other shows nothing special about it, kinda crummy location and it was not like there were the top guys in the nation there. The weather was crappy too from what I remember, so it was an all around sub par set up, but anyway, I had finaly got a chance to see wize and db's no so subdtle approach to ss3-4. After months of talking about the set up, I got to experience it. I mean it did not really hit me until Wize's second run of the afternoon (mid 164/165 ish range) when it hit me figuratively and literally. While I was in the process of keeping the passenger side door on to wize's classic from flying off and hurting a spectator, mid burp I realized DAMN I miss this. So I am in the process of rebuilding this coming year, and like shane said bring some of my favorite companies back to the forefront (audio control, eclipse, etc). But is a sickness I think, but a sickness that only hurts your wallet. And I so rather be addicted to this than to anything that would be damaging to me directly. I feel in a way that this little thing called car audio competition is a great thing for all who take part. For me personally, I have met countless people and will meet many more, and in the process I have gained some long time friends. Which is to me, enough reason to get into this mess in the first place. I am out to win and win by a large margin, but the friends along the way is also a great addition. :denim:

For me it is simply because I enjoy it so much. I didn't compete last year at all and I went to a show late in the season and realized how much I missed it. It is great to go to a show and see everything that others have done, but I love having others asking me questions and hopefully getting them excited and wanting to compete themselves. For me the best part is that time you are in line and you are going over that mental checklist making sure you have done everything you need to and the little flutter of excitement just before you make your run. That's just me, I may be a bit crazy though.