shizzzon

What is the maximum voltage an 18v Sundown amp can take?

Mechman suggests i set my alternator to 19.2v if i upgrade to 16v. Will this voltage be safe for Sundown amps that are capable of running 18v?

Mechman suggests i set my alternator to 19.2v if i upgrade to 16v. Will this voltage be safe for Sundown amps that are capable of running 18v?

You will be just fine .... :fing34:

Think about it...you have a 12 volt system in a normal car but the alternator charges at 14.4

isn't it recommended to not surpass 18V on those amps??

You have to charge higher than what your float voltage it. That was the whole point of my post.

19.2 volts will do just fine on a 16volt system. That is what my alternator was setup for when I had the 16volt setup. Scottie (powermaster) was the one who told me to run it at that.

I found no gain from running my 16 volt alternator any higher than 18 volts on a small bank of batteries but others may disagree. Most competitions like DB Dragg, Competition Only etc. only allow you to run through at 18 volts. You can bet your azz they will check it at a big high profile show.

isn't it recommended to not surpass 18V on those amps??

You have to charge higher than what your float voltage it. That was the whole point of my post.

agreed, but i remember Jacob saying not to run the amps beyond 18V..

you can run 19.2 but i wouldnt recommend any more than that i have run my for months every day at that no problems

I don't really promote 18v "daily" setups as it is a bit silly but it has been done anywhere from 17.9v (what I ran) to 19.5v (DJ ran his 3000s here).

I was asked by another person o ask if you were a reseller of Harrison Labs fluxcaps and if not where is a dealer to get a decent price for their fluxcaps?

I understand how these work now and is a fantastic invention.

I am probably gonna get 2 200A fluxcaps, a single D1000 (50aH 16v battery) and about 300-400aH worth of 12v batt behind the fluxcap.

I only run 2 AQ3500ds so for music, that single 16v batt will rarely get used anyway.

I have another question...

I notice that you have 2 100A fluxcaps and 6 d1000s (300aH)

Isn't doin it that way the same in a sense as runnin 2 200A fluxcaps, 2 d1000s and about 2 D3100s behind the fluxcaps?

I'm tryin to do this the cheapest way because 16v batts are expensive.

If i have a large 12v battery bank behind the fluxcaps, would this be sufficient in running 400A worth of caps off of a 250A alt and a couple D1000s for when the current draw exceeds 400A?

I found no gain from running my 16 volt alternator any higher than 18 volts on a small bank of batteries but others may disagree. Most competitions like DB Dragg, Competition Only etc. only allow you to run through at 18 volts. You can bet your azz they will check it at a big high profile show.

yer damn right they do, they use a DMM and u are on the gas 2k rpm.

actually they make em over 1000A, they just don't show them on that page.

not when comparing capacity to capacity...from what i've heard, the 100a fluxs are around 200 per cap.i'm still trying to find a dealer...so 2 100a caps is cheap than 4 d1000s which is $1000.i'm gonna be contacting harrison labs today about all this.

not when comparing capacity to capacity...from what i've heard, the 100a fluxs are around 200 per cap.i'm still trying to find a dealer...so 2 100a caps is cheap than 4 d1000s which is $1000.i'm gonna be contacting harrison labs today about all this.

update us when you do..

a 1000A flux cap you say! that would work great with my pair of 1500Ds!

well harrison labs is slower than a Kia...

I've called them all day and left a message and it appears that company just doesnt exist...

Good thing i didnt need an rma today... i'd be pissed...

I guess i'll start emailing them now.

ok they called me after they closed.. nice people explained everything yada yada yada, i will post what i gathered in a new topic in the Amps\electrical section.