ANT LAY

Silicone drying time?

Ok, well i just finished installing my btl and i decided to just drill holes in the box to run wires through to my amp and i used silicone to fill in the holes, so my question is how long should i let it set up before i decide to turn it up safely to tune it with out blowing a hole through the silicone?

btw for what it matters i live in middle ga. so its really humid all the time plus its been raining last two days, ive heard that will play a factor in its cure time?

I'd read the tube, but whenever Ive used silicone(not on sub boxes, but sinks and windows, etc...) if you put a bead on too large of an area, when you go back to smooth it it already has a skin on it and rolls into sticky little balls if too late. cured in no more than an hour Id say. humidity might slow it up just a little but Im sure its good to go by now.

I think I let mine sit overnight just to be on the safe side and its held up ever since, no air leaking out or nothing.

I think I let mine sit overnight just to be on the safe side and its held up ever since, no air leaking out or nothing.

uh, i would go with this guy^^^ we done the ornamental glass at the Indy airport and the colts stadium, useing silicon for a dozen reason, a full day is best, no peeking, if tampered with before done it will weaken or fail.

It usually says on the tube.

If it's 100% silicone it will take 24 hours to fully cure. If it's a mix, it may take longer or shorter. Read the tube.

Most caulking of any type available on the market is RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) and generally all call for at least 24 hours for full cure time.

I guess I never had a sub with as much force as that monster, so I underestimated it. but I was installing a kitchen sink once, laid a bead on the bottom of the lip and dropped it in, and couldnt really fit myself under the sink in the cabinet and get my hands inbetween the cabinet sides, wall, and the sink itself and took too long to get the dawn hardware on, and by the time I did, it was already too late. it wasnt fully cured but it was FAR from fresh. I had to scrape it off and have someone smaller start the hardware for me second time around. might as well listen to the pros on here though and not me... :Doh:

thanks guys, i read the tube but didnt see a cure time so i figured id give it a day....also if im not mistaken it was liquid nail brand silicone