Sign in to follow this  
addiction2bass

is 15.5v really bad for my truck?

well thing is i had my alternator guy build me a high power one for my truck and for some unknown reason at times, mainly early in the morning when its cold out still my alt will be charging from 14.4 bouncing up and down to 15.5v

ive takin the alt to my alt guy and he put it on the bench and said it tested good no problem... well thing is it only does this early in the mornings every now and then, but later on in the day it charges normal 14.4v just fine.

i got no warrenty on the alt so anything that he does to it ill have to pay for. so if 15.5 wont hurt any of my equipment ill just leave it alone for now, otherwisee i gotta pay him to put anew regulator in it and just hope thats whats wrong with it!

if it doesnt fix it i might ask him if he can build me one with a external regulator that i can adjust the output voltage with tho im sure thats more money.

but anyways can 15,5v hurt my trucks electrical? so far its been about a month or two with no real problems. just my dash lights getting brighter with the voltage hike in the mornings.

I upgraded 2 of my big three wires (engine block to cars frame with 1/0 wire and battery to cars frame with 2-1/0 wire) and my voltage starts at 15.0-15.1votls on certain mornings also, the colder it is then the higher your voltage will be. It has to do with the higher the start rate of the battery (cca is always higher than ca) but once your engine components start to heat up and then the voltage drops down to a reasonable number. Since your alternator is a little beefed up then thats where those extra .5-1.0 volts are coming from, but you should be safe ( I was wondering the same thing with my car but its been fine for more than 4 months as of now).

I upgraded 2 of my big three wires (engine block to cars frame with 1/0 wire and battery to cars frame with 2-1/0 wire) and my voltage starts at 15.0-15.1votls on certain mornings also, the colder it is then the higher your voltage will be. It has to do with the higher the start rate of the battery (cca is always higher than ca) but once your engine components start to heat up and then the voltage drops down to a reasonable number. Since your alternator is a little beefed up then thats where those extra .5-1.0 volts are coming from, but you should be safe ( I was wondering the same thing with my car but its been fine for more than 4 months as of now).

yea like he said.

early in the morning its colder and your volts stay higher when its colder.

as your car warms up and it gets hotter outside the volts will drop.

not sure if it will hurt your truck. i've seen plenty of cars and trucks with 16 volt systems and they have no problems. not saying the same will happen to your truck. ask beajay. his Cavalier idles at around 16 volts.