I found a sweet deal on an older model eclipse. I am trying to get a job, but the economy sucks. I also decided, i am going to wait on the lincoln, until i prove to myself that i can treat my car nice, because i just dont trust myself enough yet (i'm clumsy). So for the mean time (and while i save up for insurance, the car and the stereo, i am toying with the idea of building a t-box for the back seat-area and into the hatch. Subs in question are (2) SSA xcon 18's, and a sundown 3500D. i am still deciding on a powermaster battery batteries, but Knu wires and fuses for sure. My goal is a low-end monster, maybe 25-28hz. i would like some of you box-gurus to throw me some possible dimensions. I want to use aero ports, maybe like 6" ones. I would like the woofers to face upward. Thanks for suggestions.

--Chris

hey bro,

when you say "T-Box", what is it that you are referring to?

In your post you mentioned using aero ports.......

if i assume correctly you are calling a 'T-line' or 'Transmission line' a "T-box".....if so, you need to read up on them some more....no aero's involved.

let us know what you are calling a T-box,

thanks

chop

hey bro,

when you say "T-Box", what is it that you are referring to?

In your post you mentioned using aero ports.......

if i assume correctly you are calling a 'T-line' or 'Transmission line' a "T-box".....if so, you need to read up on them some more....no aero's involved.

let us know what you are calling a T-box,

thanks

chop

Nah bro, the box is shaped like a "T" like, across the backseat platform, and into the hatch area.

Like this: http://www.soundsolu.../photo-3209.jpg

Except without the LMS woofers :(

Edited by DeepSubBoy

lol,

i see what you mean,

so you have a eclipse that will be getting this enclosure, right?

how much work will be going into the interior?

we did a "T-box" in the cougar with three 4" aeros, subs up and ported to the rear , two 12" 187's....for 300w at each sub, I was really impressed.

would like to throw a bigger amp at them and see what is still hidden in there.

do you already have your max dimensions?

is this box going to be a drop in style, our built in the car?

wow....was just like thinking about those two 18" xcons....and that 3500D behind them............drooling....

I've heard that Eclipse, not sat in it but heard it with the doors open. You should get retarded loud with those Xcons!! Mdizzles 1-18" Xcon in his blazer was pretty damn loud off 1 SAZ-1500 when I heard it at Slamology this summer.

lol,

i see what you mean,

so you have a eclipse that will be getting this enclosure, right?

how much work will be going into the interior?

we did a "T-box" in the cougar with three 4" aeros, subs up and ported to the rear , two 12" 187's....for 300w at each sub, I was really impressed.

would like to throw a bigger amp at them and see what is still hidden in there.

do you already have your max dimensions?

is this box going to be a drop in style, our built in the car?

wow....was just like thinking about those two 18" xcons....and that 3500D behind them............drooling....

I'm not sure. I need to get the dimensions, and i don't have an eclipse that i can meausre ATM (its a few towns away). I am uber excited, hoping to finish it in time for my senior year car show at school. Know what i mean? Some sweet SSA stickers, a few sundown tags... smile.gif i was thinking off the top of my head, 6.5-7cuft per woofer @28hz? Is that mechanically tight enough to handle all 3500w+? Because we all know the sundown is brutal. I was also thinking, i want to build my own box. I am trying to get over to home depot, to price some 1"mdf for the sides and maybe a 3/4" double baffle (1.5"). I am asking for the 0ga for my bday, and a router guide thing form mach5 also. I was thinking about batteries, and i was wondering, for this size setup, is the powermaster 3100 worth the extra $$$? Or could i go with something smaller; i want to have enough reserve to park and play every now and then. I am not adverse to getting multiple smaller batts. Do you think i need to nab a better alt? I know they tend to be expensive, but i want to do it right the first time.

My main concerns are, i have never REALLY gutted a car to apply sound deadening and run the wires really well, for asthetics. That was also a reason i chose the eclipse before the lincoln. I guess i am just worried about breaking anything i take off to apply the good stuff, AND figuring out how to get it all off. (what the name of that site, i think its Sound deadener showdown?, i wanna try that stuff) Super psyched, but am still frustrated, because its alotta money, and alot of time til then (a whole year and a half!)

Thanks,

--Chris

Edited by DeepSubBoy

I've heard that Eclipse , not sat in it but heard it with the doors open. You should get retarded loud with those Xcons!! Mdizzles 1-18" Xcon in his blazer was pretty damn loud off 1 SAZ-1500 when I heard it at Slamology this summer.

*drools* I've always wanted to... ehh.gif

His name is Mike Singer and he is running 4 Sundown SAZ-3000D amps on the LMS's. He is on the Sundown website in the rides section/team sundown #13.I tried to find some more info for you to contact him but came up empty so far. Maybe someone else knows more info.

Edited by chicagofan

His name is Mike Singer and he is running 4 Sundown SAZ-3000D amps on the LMS's. He is on the Sundown website in the rides section/team sundown #13.I tried to find some more info but for you to contact him but came up empty so far. Maybe someone else knows more info.

I knew a little about him smile.gif

I talked to him in the first few weeks i joined this site. He hasnt been back, i just figured he was busy. My favorite vid on youtube was "breaking my windshield" when he starts off with Grippin the grain. I was pretty bummed when i found out audiopulse went out of buisness. I would definetly kiss some ass for two LMS-18's shrug.gif

do you guys think, with a little practice on the meter i might be able to run a 149.9 with two Xcons? On second thought, the tuning is pretty low, and its not much power...It's mostly for daily driving, and showing off to friends though, so im not to concerned, but i do wonder what it might meter. Oh, do you think i should do Xcon d1s? for a 1ohm "safe" load? or d2s for .5ohm and rise?

If anyone has experience with the older models of eclipse, could i get some dimensions?

for a front stage, i was thinkin Sax-100.4+two pairs of MLI's. Plus a 50.4 for the tweets. I am still undecided on tweeters. I want the highs to be loud, but not a screaming mess.

I'm thinking pioneer touch HU. My total i think is around $4k..... shrug.gif

Edited by DeepSubBoy

Read this first :

Get the dual 1 ohms so you can run them safely at 1 ohms. just my .02

upon reading your post a tad bit better, i do in fact now understand you currently do not have the car, lol, silly me....

okay, sooooooo........ on even further reading i can pick out that you have been doing some of your homework! good deal!!!

I am thinking you might be perhaps a little ahead of the game if building the box before purchasing the car or subs.....

I do have a small bit of advice on the interior of the car......junkyard! yup, go out to the junkyard and dis-assemble a few interiors, attempting to do it somewhat gently as if it was your own....then attempt to put it back together...

practice makes...... well sometimes, perfect!

it sounds like you have a eye for audio, another words, you are looking at some good stuff here.

I wish I could shoot you some numbers for the box....but really you should sorta hold off until you have the car, only my .02 though, not bashing your enthusiasim one bit.

the power issue, i suggest that any one who is serious about thier sounds, have a solid electrical system.

the high out put alts. are FTW........ having a nice battery bank and a complete big three is a must to me also.

to where you are scooping up the knowledge currently, later using that knowledge toward good, intelligent purchases will get you more bang for your buck!

there is no top end in audio, so attempt to stick to your budget and enjoy the hobby within itself.

by your senior year you will have a killer install, i will look forward to seeing what your build will be.

the possibl meter at 149.9, wow , so many varibles, apply all the right aspects, yeah no problem, but if you were referring to doing that number by your senior year....

you will have changed your install too many times by then , lol, who's to say what monster SSA will release in another year and a half. lol

keep studying audio,

chop

upon reading your post a tad bit better, i do in fact now understand you currently do not have the car, lol, silly me....

okay, sooooooo........ on even further reading i can pick out that you have been doing some of your homework! good deal!!!

I am thinking you might be perhaps a little ahead of the game if building the box before purchasing the car or subs.....

I do have a small bit of advice on the interior of the car......junkyard! yup, go out to the junkyard and dis-assemble a few interiors, attempting to do it somewhat gently as if it was your own....then attempt to put it back together...

practice makes...... well sometimes, perfect!

it sounds like you have a eye for audio, another words, you are looking at some good stuff here.

I wish I could shoot you some numbers for the box....but really you should sorta hold off until you have the car, only my .02 though, not bashing your enthusiasim one bit.

the power issue, i suggest that any one who is serious about thier sounds, have a solid electrical system.

the high out put alts. are FTW........ having a nice battery bank and a complete big three is a must to me also.

to where you are scooping up the knowledge currently, later using that knowledge toward good, intelligent purchases will get you more bang for your buck!

there is no top end in audio, so attempt to stick to your budget and enjoy the hobby within itself.

by your senior year you will have a killer install, i will look forward to seeing what your build will be.

the possibl meter at 149.9, wow , so many varibles, apply all the right aspects, yeah no problem, but if you were referring to doing that number by your senior year....

you will have changed your install too many times by then , lol, who's to say what monster SSA will release in another year and a half. lol

keep studying audio,

chop

:lol: Thanks, if it hadnt been for this awesome site, i don't think i would know half of what i do. My idea about building the box now, isnt so much to get it out of the way as the final product, i want to practice my carpentry, and see what ratios (box size to port area and such) i like. My bro has a RF 2500w (super cool, got it for $50 cuz an audio "expert" (meaning dumbass) came across it and blew it, and didnt know where to repair it. My bro took it to a shop and got it repaired. Yata yata yata, he said he'd let me do some practice with it if i manage to pick up the Xcons relatively soon. What do you guys recommend for bracing? All-thread (where do i get that?) or those internal window-frame lookin braces? And where could i get resin? Oops bell rang for study hall.

Thanks,

--Chris

Hey guys, if i am leaning more towards SPL, would (2) Warden 18's and a 4500D be worth the extra cash? Plus, Could i get some parameters of the Wardens, and the Xcons, side by side? Primarily Xmax (not for true comparison, just a habit to look :) ) Box size req's, Xmech, price of recone, and surface area of cone itself. Warranty would be good too. If i got the Wardens i would do multiple (3-4 runs of 0/1 to the back and 2-3 between batteries, then the 2 runs of 0/1 power/ground to the amp, short as possible (with the xcons+3500D, i would just do 2runs back, 2 between batts and one to amp). Fuse reccomendations? And fuse Reccomendations for for the sax amps? I wonder if i could run a 150+ with the Wardens. I am crying inside, because i can't choose, Xcon, or Warden :(

Thanks,

--Chris

Hey guys, if i am leaning more towards SPL, would (2) Warden 18's and a 4500D be worth the extra cash? Plus, Could i get some parameters of the Wardens, and the Xcons, side by side? Primarily Xmax (not for true comparison, just a habit to look :) ) Box size req's, Xmech, price of recone, and surface area of cone itself. Warranty would be good too. If i got the Wardens i would do multiple (3-4 runs of 0/1 to the back and 2-3 between batteries, then the 2 runs of 0/1 power/ground to the amp, short as possible (with the xcons+3500D, i would just do 2runs back, 2 between batts and one to amp). Fuse reccomendations? And fuse Reccomendations for for the sax amps? I wonder if i could run a 150+ with the Wardens. I am crying inside, because i can't choose, Xcon, or Warden :(

Thanks,

--Chris

I promise you will NOT run out of X-max either way if your purpose is SPL (40-50hz range). You will be limited mostly by thermal power handling. If you run out of excursion you either need to use a subsonic filter or have a box with LOW tuning or variable tuning.

4-15" of either the XCons or Wardens walled in the eclipse!! :drink40::woot:

4-15" of either the XCons or Wardens walled in the eclipse!! trink40.gifwoot.gif

:faintthud: *drools*

Why a T?

So i can get enough airspace, because i think, a plain rectangular box across the backseat may be a little small for two 18's.

M5, i would like to hear what you think about this setup. I'm on the fence between Xcons, and Wardens, but i am starting to lean towards IA.

Someone brought up a good point. If i were to compete, in the 40-50hz range, i would have plenty of throw left, thermal would most like be my limiter. If i built it with a well-made removable port, could i run a 149.9 with relative ease? (not saying its easy to hit it spot on, could i hit ~150+ with ease? 5krms and two 18's is alotta power).

What are req's for comps in this kind of class/power-range/size?

I don't understand your fence. Why do you think you should lean either way.

I don't understand your fence. Why do you think you should lean either way.

No reason like, one's better than the other, i just keep thinking, the Wardens are ALOT of money (at least for me) shrug.gif Like, if i made every purchase and upgrade to make the Eclipse a daily driver with ability to comp, its about $8k without insurance, maintenance and gas, and you know, The car. (yes, a security system and appropriate electrical is in there. It's alllll there) Some times i just look at prices of things i want, and it's all the more determination to work hard, and build my dream. I'm not gonna give up. I might have ten more ideas for a future car, or a billion more ideas, but audio is my love. I think, that if i can make a living doing what i love (building, inventing, and stuff) it's a 2-for-1.

I think i figured out the basic rule to competing in SPL (not saying you guys dont know squat, no not at all. I just came up with a way that makes sense to me.) I've noticed, at tuning, the woofers don't need to move nearly as much to produce the same volume as a note +/- tuning freq at full excursion. So, if you find your cars peak freq, and the boxes exact freq, you play at tuning, and throw loads of power at it til it reaches full excursion @ tuning.... Right? That ability to produce terrifying amounts of sound with very little xmax, is how i think the DDZ is utilized in Mr. Dante's setup. Alright, lesson over trink40.gif

Are Earthquake Screamer tweeters anygood? I think the ones I saw were 100wrms?

Edited by DeepSubBoy

Bump?

I am looking for ideas for a front stage to keep up with two 18" wardens. Looking for effeciency, if i could do one set of comps, that would be great, as i have no experience making pods. All Sundown power.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

you know better, "keep up" is not a valid description to get you a worthwhile answer. If it is truly to keep up expect to spend more on your front stage than your sub/s

you know better, "keep up" is not a valid description to get you a worthwhile answer . If it is truly to keep up expect to spend more on your front stage than your sub/s

Doh.gif In terms of a front stage, I like the very-highs. Like, the crisp sound of a good set of tweeters. Not harsh and loud, but clean sounding. As for mids, i don't like having the midrange too strong, i don't kill it entirely, but i keep it low enough so that the highs stand out a little. I like when the midbass has a nice punch to it. I don't feel like i am explaining it well, but as a comparison, i keep my radio at (+/-10): bass (more like midbass) 0, midrange -5, and treble +10. I guess what i am trying to say is, i like the treble a little exaggerated but not overpowering. I was thinking (2) mach5 MLI's and four tweeters. What are some nice tweeters? I like a bright sound, but not harsh and blaring.

An Eclipse wouldnt have trouble handling the weight of two 18's, the box and 190lbs of batteries, would it? (either a 99' or an 01')

You don't need 4 tweets and 2 mids...other way around. Tweeters are almost always more efficient than mids.

Sounds like you are a prime candidate for some Focals, but if you go diy I'd definitely lean towards a metal tweeter. You could surely mimic your tone curve by underlapping a bit more between the mid and tweet which naturally could happen in your install.

Curious what stereo you currently have those settings on as they are extreme.

You don't need 4 tweets and 2 mids...other way around. Tweeters are almost always more efficient than mids.

Sounds like you are a prime candidate for some Focals, but if you go diy I'd definitely lean towards a metal tweeter. You could surely mimic your tone curve by underlapping a bit more between the mid and tweet which naturally could happen in your install.

Curious what stereo you currently have those settings on as they are extreme.

Really? Well, on second thought, tweets generally are more pronouced. What are some Focal models, that arent too harsh on the wallet? I'd say $300-450 for speakers alone (or maybe w/ x-overs) is my limit.

And, its my moms stock stereo in her Hyundai Elantra

Only 14 days til i am 16, and can apply at Meijer :lol: