Sign in to follow this  
deucelee

too big for sealed, too small for ported --> for IXL 18

hey guys,

right now i got the box build already, it's a 11.2 cube box sealed. I was using a bunch of left over wood.

one IXL 18 is going to go into it. I could add (3) 4 inch ports and make it a 10.7-ish cube box tuned to 16hz, or I could keep it sealed.

it's going to get about 900rms.

what should i do?

I haven't ordered the sub yet. If I was to do sealed, i thought i'd go with the high Qt. I'm just afraid the 10.7 cubes is too small for ported, or will it be ok?

since sealed would be in such a big box, wouldn't the lows be comparable to the ported box? say in the 15-20hz? or not really?

If its the deep lows you are trying to achieve and you have the box volume to do it, go ported.

Definitely port it. You may not need 900W. Mine's getting 600W in a 16 cube box tuned to 11Hz... it does very well like that. I'm afraid it'll bottom out if I give it more. Rattles everything in the house... I love it.

Only problem is, I want to build another one and my wallet won't let me.

Edited by Oklahoma Wolf

Definitely port it. You may not need 900W. Mine's getting 600W in a 16 cube box tuned to 11Hz... it does very well like that. I'm afraid it'll bottom out if I give it more. Rattles everything in the house... I love it.

Only problem is, I want to build another one and my wallet won't let me.

that's the sad part, my box is much smaller then yours..., i wish it was bigger...

i was saying (1) IXL 18 to keep things simple, but i'll confess, i'm planning on using (2) with a EP2500, realistically i believe they put out 800-900rms at a 2 ohm load to each channel...another problem that could arise with that is if the amp can take that kind of load 2-3hrs, 3-4x a week...

i was told the v.2 versions of the IXL's were suppose to be able to take more power...if that's the case, do you guys think i should be ok then? with the EP2500 on a pair?

Don't worry too much about the EP2500... it should be fine with that. I'm no fan of Behringer, but the QSC RMX-2450 it's a copy of is a good design. I'm using an RMX-1850HD myself bought used from a pro audio acquaintance of mine from Saskatoon. I can't heat that thing up at all with just one of these subs.

16Hz is still plenty low. To be honest, I can't even enjoy content much below 16Hz myself due to the room I have mine in. I can't hear it, and all it does is shake the rest of the house.

Don't worry too much about the EP2500... it should be fine with that. I'm no fan of Behringer, but the QSC RMX-2450 it's a copy of is a good design. I'm using an RMX-1850HD myself bought used from a pro audio acquaintance of mine from Saskatoon. I can't heat that thing up at all with just one of these subs.

16Hz is still plenty low. To be honest, I can't even enjoy content much below 16Hz myself due to the room I have mine in. I can't hear it, and all it does is shake the rest of the house.

cool man, i think i'll just go that route...(3) 4" ports per box its going to be then...thanks