Sign in to follow this  
exxd

18" Fi BL: 9 cubes @ 32hz vs 7.7 cubes @ 35 hz?

Currently I'm using the 9 cube @ 32hz after displacement feeding it about 1.1kw rms and it sounds pretty good but I was wondering would I gain anything from going with a smaller box (7.7 @ 35hz~). IE: would I feel the bass a bit more? would it bit any louder? The only real thing I know about having such a huge box tuned at 32hz is the lows it will pound, other than that I'm a noob when it comes to the dif sizes... Fi GURUS, once again I need your help!

generally speaking, as you tune lower, you need a larger box for the sub to efficiently reproduce the lower tones. a smaller box tuned higher will generally result in higher SPL. 35 hz is till plenty low to bang most music out there. if you are trying to get a little louder, definitely worth trying out the smaller box

Edited by mjmarovi

generally speaking, as you tune lower, you need a larger box for the sub to efficiently reproduce the lower tones. a smaller box tuned higher will generally result in higher SPL. 35 hz is till plenty low to bang most music out there. if you are trying to get a little louder, definitely worth trying out the smaller box

thanks man.... when i first mounted the woofer, i left about 5 inches from the edge incase i wanted to cut it down to the 7.7. but i was unsure if i would be losing or gaining anything. i think i will do that tomarrow. do you think corner angle braces would be needed? like these -> https://www.hardwareworld.com/Zinc-Corner-Brace-115bc-3-x-3--4-inches-pEC0UCY.aspx

Edited by exxd

thanks man.... when i first mounted the woofer, i left about 5 inches from the edge incase i wanted to cut it down to the 7.7. but i was unsure if i would be losing or gaining anything. i think i will do that tomarrow. do you think corner angle braces would be needed? like these -> https://www.hardwareworld.com/Zinc-Corner-Brace-115bc-3-x-3--4-inches-pEC0UCY.aspx

instead of cutting, add a board inside to change the volume, try some 2 x 4"s to lower the box volume that way your not cutting the box down then figuring out that its not what you wanted, then youd have to rebuild or put some really good bracing if you wanted to put the piece you cut off back on....

the brace you showed would be a waste of time IMO. to add some db's try rounding all the corners on the inside of the box. you can do it with poster board, and just use fiberglass resin to put it in, I like that method it's simple and cheap. plus it adds strength to the enclosure, a lot more than those little braces.

instead of cutting, add a board inside to change the volume, try some 2 x 4"s to lower the box volume that way your not cutting the box down then figuring out that its not what you wanted, then youd have to rebuild or put some really good bracing if you wanted to put the piece you cut off back on....

wow, i dont know why ive never thought of this, i will certainly add some more wood inside... but how should i go about it? just wood glue the pieces in? liquid nails? or screws?

if you use screws, and it may be easier to get them back out, glue and/or liquid nails is usually a little more permanent.

I would personally prefer the larger, lower tuned enclosure.

yea im starting to think i shouldnt touch my box at all and that im just getting used to the bass and want more lol.... that ever happen to you? you quickly get used to it and think its not slapping anymore and then want MORE MORE MORE until you're deaf!

currently im trying rear-firing the sub, when first installed it was up-firing in my 03' tahoe. i know most people say port back and sub up in suv's... but i built the box before i knew, so sub faces same direction as slot port. so im trying to see if i like it better up or rear ATM.

if you round the if you round the corners on the inside it will add SPL, probably not audible though...a 1 db gain at most I would say.

yea im starting to think i shouldnt touch my box at all and that im just getting used to the bass and want more lol.... that ever happen to you? you quickly get used to it and think its not slapping anymore and then want MORE MORE MORE until you're deaf!

currently im trying rear-firing the sub, when first installed it was up-firing in my 03' tahoe. i know most people say port back and sub up in suv's... but i built the box before i knew, so sub faces same direction as slot port. so im trying to see if i like it better up or rear ATM.

Subs Up Port Back!

I gained quite a bit from sub up port back configuration. If there is not danger of damaging the sub due to stuff hitting it you might want to try sub drivers side- port back. I've had more than one competitor tell me they gained in a tahoe/yukon this way.

I believe I gained around 1-1.5 db going from 8ft net @ 32hz sub/port back - to the sub up port back with 7.5ft net @ 36hz in my 01 tahoe. I did several changes in a short period of time so don't quote me.

I positioned the port pretty close to the tailgate, so I think 36hz tuning was a bit lower, once in the vehicle, but for the sound difference I liked the gain on the meter.

Sign in to follow this