smullen

Question on Mids/Tweets and Amp to power them

I picked up a new Daily Driver, its a 2005 TrailBlazer and I want to put a decent system in...

This system will be strictly for Music no SPL comps or anything crazy, I just want a really clean install, a system that sounds really nice and is Dependable...

Of Course the Stereo nut SPL Freak in me wants it as loud as possible, but Still as good as possible... Not chassing the DBs... I listem to Mostly Rap, some R&B, Some smooth Jazz, some Rock, Wife listens to the same, plus Country and some old Blues I guess it is....

I've got some cash saved up, so this weekend I'm going to go look at getting an alarm put on (I'll do another post on that somewhere) and maybe look at ordering a headunit if I can decide on one...

The question is on the Mids/Tweets and amp(s) to power them...

I'm looking at getting a set of Polk Audio MM6501s (a set for Front and a set for Rear, Buy one, get one half off)

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_107MM6501/Polk-Audio-MM6501.html?tp=95

Now, powering them is really the question...

I'm considering running Sundown amps for this system, 1 for Front/Rears, one for a Sub...

The Polks I mentioned are rated @ 2.7 Ohms..

I'm thinking of going with a single SAX-100.4D to power both the front and rear sets...

So with the ohm load (2.7 stated above) it should be putting out somewhere above 100wpc but below 160 wpc max...

The Polk sets are rated at 25-125 rms and 250 Max I think...

Will a single 100.4 will be enough???

I don't really want to buy and give up space for two SAX-125.2s... Space is a bigger concern those Amps aren't small... Again, this is a daily Family Ride...

You figure, 1 Mid/Tweet amp, an enclosure for a sub, its amp, bound to need a extra Bat, but hope not... Still, we're eating up room left and right...

I figured in order I'd add

1. Alarm,

2. Headunit,

3. Big Three - Mid/Tweets& amp for them

4. Sub & Amp...

polk momos are great sounding speakers. love them, actually on a sound board next to focals, I liked the momos hands down. the 100.4d should be perfect. RMS is kinda relative, that amp will be able to push those speakers to their limits, and then some. It really depends on how you eq them and how low you want to play on how much power they are going to handle.

a good battery is def. a necessity in any system.

I understand you don't want SPL, just musical, but what one person's version loud is may be completely different than mine or yours. what was your last system, and how did you feel it fed your hunger for volume?

Sundown should be more than enough power. Definitely.

No input here about Polk car audio speakers, never heard any. I'd suggest going to a shop and listen to some and see what you like. I personally like Focal and JL Audio speakers, but the speakers are only as good as the install.

I'd suggest throwing in some sound deadener around the mounting location of the woofers. That was bar far the best improvement in sound for the cheapest price. Like 20 bucks for enough to do baffles.

Good luck with thew search.

polk momos are great sounding speakers. love them, actually on a sound board next to focals, I liked the momos hands down. the 100.4d should be perfect. RMS is kinda relative, that amp will be able to push those speakers to their limits, and then some. It really depends on how you eq them and how low you want to play on how much power they are going to handle.

a good battery is def. a necessity in any system.

I understand you don't want SPL, just musical, but what one person's version loud is may be completely different than mine or yours. what was your last system, and how did you feel it fed your hunger for volume?

Last mostly completed System was in my 2000 Blazer...

I had

Kenwood DVD Head Unit 910-DVD or something (Single Din No Screen), still have it..

Two Smaller Hifonics Amps power pairs of Eclipse "Point Source" strange (Components, but the tweets were made on the center of the mid like a co/ax)

Hifonics Zeus (older model, When Zeus was a model, not one of their lines) pushing 3 JL12W6s in a Sealed Box (bit to small and under powered in my opinion)

3 Optima Yellow tops in the back 1 Red Top in the front

Big 3 All Phoenix Gold Wiring and accessories (power and signal)

Dynamat deadener

Several LCDs in the Visors, in the Back

Xbox

Radio Shack Ausio/Video Switcher for switching video sources, etc...

Here is a pic of the box...

ffada656664456.gif

Sounded great Musically, jsut not loud enough, so I ripped it out and sold most of it off..

Decided I wanted more BASS... Still wanted Good Music, but more Louder and more BASS, so I bought a Buncha RE subs and Componets and never got it back together as thats when I got married, go into the house, working 60+ hours a week and all kinds of other crap...

I did put one of the 12s in a Temp box for a bit, just to have something to listen too...

c4314857193142.gif

But like I said never finished it... Still plan to and was starting to ramp that back up, but I picked up the TrailBlazer and now I'm really sidetracked with doing a small daily type system for it...

Man, Its a sickness...

And those Polks should fit in the front and Back doors of the Trail Blazer???

After doing some further reading, I think the front doors take 6.5s, no idea about the rear...

The concern was, going on the thought that the T.B. does take 6.5s front and rear...

Cut frm Crutchfield site:

""Polk describes this model as a 6-1/2" speaker. Most manufacturers designate this same frame size as a 6-3/4" speaker. For simplicity's sake we list it as a 6-3/4" speaker.""

Just want to make sure they are going to fit....

Edited by smullen

I'd suggest throwing in some sound deadener around the mounting location of the woofers. That was bar far the best improvement in sound for the cheapest price. Like 20 bucks for enough to do baffles.

For sure on the deadener... On my Blazer, I put it on the door itself, then I put a layer on the back of the Door Pannel where I could thinking it might help a bit more... Mighta been overkill, but too much is better than not enough in this case...

You can't go overkill with deadener....okay maybe too much of a good thing can be bad but I've never seen those circumstances with deadener. I have a door kit per door in my car(dynamat door kit is suppose to do 2 doors).

Another suggestion I would have is to spend more on a front stage, and don't worry or eliminate the rears. I eliminated my rears and I absolutely love it.

I hate to do this, but I'm trying to sell some speakers for a buddy of mine. Cheap and well worth the money. May need to make a baffle spacer. $150 plus shipping.

for your bass needs, it seems to me that doing something ported, like 2 15's would give you the output you are looking for. Fi Q's, Sundown Z15's, would be great for you. Matched with a 2000watt amp. Sundown Audio 2000d since you are already looking into sundown. the Z15's are on closeout, so a great deal there too, but get'em before they're gone. I would try and find a spot for a second set of momo's up front, or just put more power on that single set. As stated above, speakers in rear are unnecessary.

I have always went with the philosophy that one set is plenty. Never more or less. Do the install right and there's never a need for any more than one set unless you're into show.

for your bass needs, it seems to me that doing something ported, like 2 15's would give you the output you are looking for. Fi Q's, Sundown Z15's, would be great for you. Matched with a 2000watt amp. Sundown Audio 2000d since you are already looking into sundown. the Z15's are on closeout, so a great deal there too, but get'em before they're gone. I would try and find a spot for a second set of momo's up front, or just put more power on that single set. As stated above, speakers in rear are unnecessary.

I hear ya man... I really do, but on this on wants an needs are a different story for this ride...

Again, this one is my Daily... It also has to have WAF (Wife Approval Factor)... So I'll be lucky if I can give up the space/power/money for 1 15 Sub and 1 Set of Componets per each Front/Rear doors...

Now My Blazer, that will be a different Story all together... With this thread I was just wanting to make sure that the Power I was planning, would decently push the MoMos...

Yea, I'd love more power, but I gotta Draw the line somewhere...

I'm just wanting to do a basic system here and with a quik really basic off the top of my head estimate I'm already well over 2K...

700 Headunit

300 Front Set MoMos

150 Rear Set MoMos, Buy 1 get one 1/2 off

365 4Ch Amp for Mid/Tweets

615 Sub amp

300 Sub

200 Wiring accessories

2630 Sub tot

Thats no Deadener, no install if I have some of it done, no alarm...

It'll take awhile just to get all this in... Once the dust settles then I might try to eeek in some Upgrades...

I have always went with the philosophy that one set is plenty. Never more or less. Do the install right and there's never a need for any more than one set unless you're into show.

Yes, more than one driver playing the same frequency in a front stage is a bad idea. In particular if it is two sets of components. There are ways to implement it so it works, but that is not a good recommendation.

i have a trailblazer myself. i have jl xr 6.5 components in front and jl vr 5.25 coaxial in back. they're run on rockford t400-4. birth sheet says 75w rms x 4. its insanely loud and clean. play with my bl 15 well.

i have a trailblazer myself. i have jl xr 6.5 components in front and jl vr 5.25 coaxial in back. they're run on rockford t400-4. birth sheet says 75w rms x 4. its insanely loud and clean. play with my bl 15 well.

What year T.B?

Your setup sounds kinda like what I want... 1 4ch amp for my front/rear mids/highs, one sub amp, 1 15 sub... Any pics of that???

Last question, you said you had 5.25s in the rear... I'm hoping that was not because 6.5s would not fit... I just ordered my 2 sets of 6.5s or should I say 6.75s (a set for the front and a set for the rear)...

Crutchfield has them buy one set get the second set 1/2 price... Of course they are a tad higher than some other places so I guess it evens out...

I hear ya man... I really do, but on this on wants an needs are a different story for this ride...

Again, this one is my Daily... It also has to have WAF (Wife Approval Factor)... So I'll be lucky if I can give up the space/power/money for 1 15 Sub and 1 Set of Componets per each Front/Rear doors...

Now My Blazer, that will be a different Story all together... With this thread I was just wanting to make sure that the Power I was planning, would decently push the MoMos...

I'm just wanting to do a basic system here and with a quik really basic off the top of my head estimate I'm already well over 2K...

700 Headunit

300 Front Set MoMos

615 Sub amp

300 Sub

200 Wiring accessories

2630 Sub tot

It'll take awhile just to get all this in... Once the dust settles then I might try to eeek in some Upgrades...

Have you looked into buying used from Db-r for the amp?

700 Headunit

300 Front Set MoMos

615 Sub amp

300 Sub

200 Wiring accessories

2630 Sub tot

Have you looked into buying used from Db-r for the amp?

Ntt really, as I hate to buy used or refurbished electronics... I have in the past and had problems with it... Any cost savings were ate up in shipping the stuff back and fourth, time on the phone and pulling the gear out and putting it back in....

However, I may have to look into this again...