TonyRomo

Why do pros do crappy installs?

I'm an older guy, just turned 40 and have gone through many installs in my earlier years. I've had some good installs by shops and I've had total crap installs. Well I wouldn't say the installs were crap but the bass setup was. I would say the worst problem I have ran into with installs is the box builds were wrong for the speakers of choice. I have always bought quality subs for my installs but often the boxes were build wrong. I've even pissed of installs by telling them to rebuild the box because the bass sucked. That even happened in a Camaro once, where bass should be easy to do. I've also learned that less can mean more too. Subs need plenty of box space. Sometimes having 2 subs instead of just one sub means crappier bass because they are lacking sufficient air space. I do like to brag on myself. I don't let the shops install anything for me anymore. I do it all, even the box build and I did quite good with the last box I built for my truck. 1 single Jl 12 with 2 cubic feet air space and it sounds great. The only problem I got is I've got too much amp for that sub. So I may sway it out for a Kicker CVX.

Anyone else have had problems with crappy shop installs?

I'm an older guy, just turned 40 and have gone through many installs in my earlier years. I've had some good installs by shops and I've had total crap installs. Well I wouldn't say the installs were crap but the bass setup was. I would say the worst problem I have ran into with installs is the box builds were wrong for the speakers of choice. I have always bought quality subs for my installs but often the boxes were build wrong. I've even pissed of installs by telling them to rebuild the box because the bass sucked. That even happened in a Camaro once, where bass should be easy to do. I've also learned that less can mean more too. Subs need plenty of box space. Sometimes having 2 subs instead of just one sub means crappier bass because they are lacking sufficient air space. I do like to brag on myself. I don't let the shops install anything for me anymore. I do it all, even the box build and I did quite good with the last box I built for my truck. 1 single Jl 12 with 2 cubic feet air space and it sounds great. The only problem I got is I've got too much amp for that sub. So I may sway it out for a Kicker CVX.

Anyone else have had problems with crappy shop installs?

Everybody has that is why most of us here do it ourselves and we made a couple of threads about it already:

YOUR LOCAL CAR AUDIO SHOPS - SSA Car Audio Forum - Page 5

some people just lose their love for it once they start doing it for money i guess

just my theory though.

and ofcourse i know that doesnt apply to all.

some people just lose their love for it once they start doing it for money i guess

just my theory though.

They charge to much to skimp on an install, regardless if you loose the love you should still run a good business. Taking a job to a "So-called Professional" then they should do professional work or at least tell you they cant do something. That is what I tell people who want me to install things or setups I have no experience with, I cant do it since I have not before (doesnt mean I cant just dont want to until I have done it before and feel comfortable doing it again).

just my theory though.

They charge to much to skimp on an install, regardless if you loose the love you should still run a good business. Taking a job to a "So-called Professional" then they should do professional work or at least tell you they cant do something. That is what I tell people who want me to install things or setups I have no experience with, I cant do it since I have not before (doesnt mean I cant just dont want to until I have done it before and feel comfortable doing it again).

yea i totally agree. but you know. some people just don't care. good business ethics aren't their top concern. it's all about the buck.

The local shops have gotten a bad rep for bad installs and ripping people off. I just do my own now. It's not that hard to do.