psycho72

Heaven for a RL-p 12 D2

Okay so what box size would be heaven for a 12" RL-p D2 getting 700-800 watts max. I want a ported box tuned to 24Hz. I have about 3 cubic feet available. What would be heaven for the woofer?

Why do you want it tuned so low? I'd figure if you want to tune that low you might as well go sealed.

Because I have actually listened to test tones and my favorites are from 20-30 so a boost in that area is what I want with an only slightly affected 30-40 range while keeping 40+ unboosted because I don't like that area. Kind of irritating actually. I could be way off though in my thinking but that is what I was thinking. So am I way off?

Whatever works best for you :domoslay: Not sure on what size what would be the best though. Might want to PM or email mike. I have my single 12" in a 2ft^3 tuned to 34hz and I've only got to mess around with it for about 5 minutes using a friends amp giving it about 200 watts and it sounded really really good. Especially only getting 200 watts. :woot:

What rollin said, I have mine in a 2ft^3 tuned to 28Hz, and absolutely adore it. Also.. you do not have to tune that low in car. HT, yes. Car, no.

What rollin said, I have mine in a 2ft^3 tuned to 28Hz, and absolutely adore it. Also.. you do not have to tune that low in car. HT, yes. Car, no.

After talking to mike today I am actually gonna raise it to 28. I did not realize that tuning too low could have a negative impact up high and although it is not my favorite area I am sure music would sound weird if too much 50-80 were missing.

Why do you want it tuned so low? I'd figure if you want to tune that low you might as well go sealed.

Because I have actually listened to test tones and my favorites are from 20-30 so a boost in that area is what I want with an only slightly affected 30-40 range while keeping 40+ unboosted because I don't like that area. Kind of irritating actually. I could be way off though in my thinking but that is what I was thinking. So am I way off?

i know exactly what you mean about certain frequencies being good and others being bad,your search is over, the rl-p12 is super smooth across the whole bandwidth('flat' it plays from 20hz to 100 with equal volume!)),i had exactly the same feelings as you do about my sub being unpleasant at 40-50 hz and lacking below that, the rl-p solved everything,tons of super low end with absolute sq,no boom or boxy sounds anywhere,ive had mine about a weeks now, its completely audiophile super musical and as loud as you can take it! spend the extra few $$ and get the rl-p.

I actually just got my 12" RL-p D2 yesterday, and this thing is visually impressive. I am several weeks away from install as I am planning a custom fiberglass bottom box that will actuallyraise my trunk floor a whopping 4 inchs and allow me to keep my spare tire and trunk. I am one of those guys who wants it all and makes it happen of course in this case sacraficing, as there always is one, multiple woofers. But I am supremely confident that a single 12 will be sufficient for my tiny Integra (man I can hardly wait until I can get a real car that takes up 2 lanes and gets 5 miles to the gallon).

When you guys mention your cube is that inclusive of the port area? I am taking everything outta my trunk and I did some more measuring and I think I am alot shorter on space than I had originally envisioned. I think after driver displacement and not including the port I am at around 1.8 cube. I am going to make the port outside of the box so 1.8 is what I will actually have. Is that perfect or do I need to find some more space?

i'm including all displacements when i make a suggestion...

1.8ft^3 net (with port on outside) would work fine....tune about 32-34hz for the best combo of output/spl,IMO

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: