jfin1204

buying from parts-express 5.1 sys,

wanting to buy from parts-express, and i need knowledge on how to choose a tweeter and a midbass even a crossover. i only want to choose from the buyout section, looking at 15$ a woofer 10$ a tweeter and depending on the price i could built one or buy a premade one. i realize the xover might not be on thr buyout section. doing a 5.1 system later i will choose a sub and plate amp? then do a small build . work at best by so will probably get a nice reciever, looking at denon.

You don't buy drivers and then a crossover, you buy drivers and then DESIGN a crossover. Buying an off the shelf passive will sound like crap. You'd be much better off just buying complete close out speakers from them.

i am buying the drivers first, then building the crossovers, but i also thought about buying premade crossover. now that you said not to buy premade i wont. back to my first questions from up top please?

if you could recomend me a low cost woofer and tweeeter in the buy out section, so that i could build enclosure and then xover. doing a 5.1 first build so i dont know what variables to give you.

Edited by jfin1204

He's recommending buying one of the tested and tried designs they have on the website. You can build you're own if you want, but it IS NOT like putting together a car audio system.

First you're going to want to select the drivers, I recommend heading over to Zaph Audio and reading the driver reviews to find acceptable drivers. You're going to want to see how 'low' or 'high' the drivers play by looking at the frequency graphs. After you find some drivers that will work well together, you need to design a cross over. I have NO experience with that unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure you can find it on the internet, or buy a book on it. No one can just say "you'll need this capacitor, this resistor, and a few filters at A, B, and C." You will need to test out many, many different combination of those. That is why I'd recommended a tried and true design. Unless you have the patience to learn such things!

i am buying the drivers first, then building the crossovers, but i also thought about buying premade crossover. now that you said not to buy premade i wont. back to my first questions from up top please?

if you could recomend me a low cost woofer and tweeeter in the buy out section, so that i could build enclosure and then xover. doing a 5.1 first build so i dont know what variables to give you.

What measurement equipment do you have access to?

sorry been away...for a couple days. just a dmm. what else would i need? what do people use to find the parameters of a apeaker?

Edited by jfin1204

sorry been away...for a couple days. just a dmm. what else would i need? what do people use to find the parameters of a apeaker?

jflin: I am new to this forum but have been active on the PE forum for a while. I would suggest building an existing project from PE. If you go onto the forum and seach for the tritrix, you will find lots of good info. There is even a kit on PE for the tritrix. Try posting this same question on that forum, you might get more info of what you are looking to achieve.