Mahna Mahna

Can I Go Active With This Setup?

I'm getting ready to buy some amps for my set up and need to know if I can go active. I read a bit on active vs. passive but not sure when it comes to the HU and AMP requirements.

Here is my setup

HU - Pioneer Premier DEH-P690UB

Front - Hybrid Clarus C61-2 (2 way)

Sub - Single IDQ12v3 (DVC)

The Pioneer HU xover specs are....

Crossover Network Two-Way Crossover

High-Pass Crossover (HPF) 50/63/80/100/ 125/160/200Hz, 0/-6/-12dB/Oct.

Subwoofer Crossover (LPF) 50/63/80/100/ 125/160/200Hz, -6/-12/-18dB/Oct.

The amps I'm looking at are either DLS RA20 & RA10 or a pair of ARC KS 300.2 (sub bridged 4 ohm)

RA20 (Front) - Variable high-pass filter (20-150 Hz) & Variable low-pass filter (40-125 Hz)

RA10 (Sub) - Variable high-pass (subsonic) filter (25 Hz, 18 dB/octave)& Variable low-pass filter (40-125 Hz, 12 dB/octave)

KS 300.2 - Crossover (Butterworth): 55Hz - 5.5 KHz variable 12dB High and Low pass

Can I run active with either the DLS or ARC?

Which amp combo is the best choice and why?

Need advice?

Thanks...........

Edited by Mahna Mahna

You need 4 channels of amplifier to run active. One for each driver (ie tweeter, tweeter, mid, mid)

The RA's don't have anything that will help, the h/u is dubious as it will only work as the bottom of the bandpass, and the KS could but in reality I would shy away from an amplifier active solution as they will regularly not sound as good as the passives that come with a set. On top of that IMO it is a waste of money to buy a comp set and then split it up to run active, much better to save a lot of dough and buy raw drivers.

Whichever one you get a better deal on used. New I wouldn't pay for either.

If I stay passive (the Hybird comes with xovers)...which amps would you recommend...the DLS or ARC?

Thanks

Out of only those two options, I would go with the Arc personally.

But there are also more affordable options I would choose before either of them.